xii. epiphany

Saying that Jessica knew nothing was a lie

Jessica has always been open about her life and choices with Valerie and everyone around her. She wasn't anything like Danielle, when frustrated it showed, when she was upset or happy it would show. If she had any questions, she would never be afraid to ask them even if it was to her sister. Jessica was used to showing her emotions, it was the most important thing her father taught her.

When Jessica was young her father and mother went through a custody battle. Something everyone knew. What they didn't know was why, and of course it's no surprise since she never talked about it. After all no one truly speaks about the full abuse of a parent.

Her goal was to let it go, forget the past, forget her mother and half-sister. That moving to Hawkins would be a fresh start with her father. It worked for a while but that was until Danielle came into her life.

Jessica had already gotten used to it being just her and her dad, she didn't think a new addition to the family would appear out of nowhere so soon.

Jessica was reluctant and so was Danielle that it ended up with both of them hating each other.

It wasn't a surprise. When two strangers with trauma meet you couldn't expect them to bond instantly having those long loving years of connection. For the both of them, it took time and accidents. But it also taught a few lessons.

When Jessica met Danielle, she was closed off and never talked to her dad about her mother or what had happened, simply pushing it down. She pretended everything was fine when it wasn't.

But as the months went by Jessica noticed how silent Danielle was, how she never showed or expressed anything, and it made her realize that she couldn't live that way. She couldn't live in isolation while dying inside quietly, she wasn't strong enough. She wasn't capable of suffering in silence.

She wasn't strong like Danielle, and she knew that.

So, to say Jessica didn't know anything was the biggest lie ever told. She knew everything. More than others would think. She knew about Danielle's past, the murders, and the suffering her sister has been dealing with and it torments her everyday knowing there isn't anything she could do to help.