ix. plan b

The fireworks could be heard from afar, illuminating the sky as the town celebrates the fourth of July

The fireworks could be heard from afar, illuminating the sky as the town celebrates the fourth of July. The sun had set a while ago, they gave El time to recover and rest waiting for her to be ready to talk. El was seated on the couch next to Max, both Mike and Danielle were sitting on the coffee table while Will sat on the back of the couch with Lucas pacing behind him. Jonathan was sitting on a stool while Nancy stood leaning against the wall.

"He said he was building something. That it was all for me." El's voice was raspy from her sobbing earlier. It had taken her a while to calm down. 

Max frowned. "Building something... is he talking about the flayed?" her eyes dart to everyone in the room seeming uncertain.

Nancy answered nodding. "He must be."

"So, he's building an army just like we thought." Lucas continued pacing.

"Yeah, but he's not building this army to spread." Mike told them. 

"He's building it to stop Eleven." Will nodded. Both Max and Danielle make eye contact remembering their conversation in El's room, they didn't think they were right. 

"Last year, El closed the gate on him. I have a feeling that really pissed him off." Mike was saying stuff that the redhead and blonde had already figured out.

"Like, royally." Lucas agreed.

"And the Mind Flayer now knows that she's the only one who can stop him." Mike sounded certain; he winces. "If she's out of the way..."

"Game over."

Danielle tenses up, she didn't like this one bit. "Did he mention anything about me? Any information on why the hell he's playing favorites?" she asked Eleven wondering if the Mind Flayer was useful for once, hoping he revealed his evil plan. 

El shook her head. "No. But he did say he was going to kill all of you." She admitted glancing around the room looking at everyone's reactions.

"Well..." Danielle spoke up, scratching her neck feeling uneasy. "Thats... comforting"

"Oh yeah, definitely." Max said sarcastically. The fireworks going off was heard in the background. 

 Danielle noticed Nancy pause as she looked over at the window. From a distance the blonde heard a faint screeching noise. Nancy furrowed her eyebrows as she walked over to the window. "Do you guys hear that?"

They all stayed silent sitting up straight, no one heard anything. "It's just the fireworks." Jonathan spoke up.

"Billy..." Nancy turned around making eye contact with Eleven. "When he told you this, it was here, in this room?" 

El nodded. Danielle face dropped as she realized; she stood up anxiously. "He wasn't trying to trap you; he was trying to locate where you were. He knew you were going to do this." Nancy made eye contact with Danielle looking worried. At that same exact moment Will shuddered putting his hand behind his neck. Danielle curses. "Shit, well that's not a good sign." All eyes go on Will who shivered, his eyes were wide.