vii. the girl with the pink dress

Will Byers was found dead last night

Will Byers was found dead last night. A body was found at bottom of the quarry. The news was spreading everywhere around school, in every hall that Danielle walked through there was always a group talking about the death of Will Byers.

The thing is that Danielle doesn't believe he's dead. Sure, he didn't really sound lively with his singing last night, but it was him. It was realistic. It didn't sound like someone singing underwater. It's also not possible for someone to tamper with her SuperCom. She knows he's alive. Somewhere.

Currently everyone is in class aside from Danielle. She's skipping. It's not like middle school grades matter anyway. Down the hall she hears a voice. Furrowing her eyebrows, she walks closer the voice becoming clearer.

"Remember if anyone sees us look sad" That voice belonged to Mike Wheeler. His choice of words has got her thinking. Look sad. As she continues walking forwards the group of four turn in her direction. Freezing as they see her. Mike, Lucas and Dustin stare at her wide eyed. Danielle also notices an extremely blonde girl behind them.

That's weird, she doesn't recognize her as a student here.

"You're supposed to be grieving. What are you doing in school?" Danielle asks the boys who stare at her with a panicked look. Look sad. They are doing a shit job at it, instead they look afraid.

Mikes facial expression changes to  irritation. "What are you doing here?"

"Ditching" she responds nonchalantly. She notices Dustin eyeing the door to her left. Her gaze goes to the door that has the words Audio Visual Room. So that's where they were headed "Don't even bother trying to open the door. Mr. Clarke locks it all the time" without another word she walks past them heading to the gymnasium for the assembly that they will announce in a few seconds.

Look sad.

The words spiral around her head. Why would they need to look sad? Shouldn't they just feel sorrow at the fact that they had lost their friend. Unless, they actually don't believe Byers is really dead.

Entering the gym along with plenty of other middle schoolers Danielle takes a seat at the top bench. Everyone was already seated and silent as the principal was about to speak. Until the gym door opens harshly with Mr. Clarke entering with Mike and his goonies. All heads turn towards them. As they walk to take a seat the principal starts his rehearsed speech.

Danielle doesn't even bother listening. It's not like she could even if she wanted to especially with Troy making fun of the entire thing. She can see Lucas, Dustin and Mike watching them with a pissed off expression. Wasn't long before the entire assembly was over that all the students started to exit out of the gym.

Danielle was right behind the blonde girl as she heard Mike call out to the bully "Hey Troy."

The bullies turn around looking at Mike with unphased look.