i. menace

Menace

Menace.

She remembered the first time the word had reached her ears. She hadn't felt as bothered as she should have been. But Danielle wasn't wired that way.

It had already been a year since Benny became her legal guardian. She never left the house, never saw anyone or talked to them. So, the first time she walked out of the house with her sister, was the first time anyone had seen her. 

Everyone in Hawkins questioned who the young girl in the large green vintage sweater and grey sweatpants was. Her light brown hair was up in a messy bun, her skin pale due to never leaving the house, but her eyes were what caught people's attention. No one could tell you why, but this young girl's eyes seemed cold. Whenever she made eye contact with an adult, they quickly averted their eyes to another direction. As if they would be burned or cursed by her.

No one seemed to able to look her in the eyes. Maybe it was because they were filled with nothing, extremely dull, and her facial expression didn't seem to be helping. She didn't smile, smirk, or laugh, she didn't have a single emotion on display. Perhaps that was what was made everyone assume the girl was unnatural to their perfect little town. The fact that she wasn't transparent, it was the fact that no one can read her that bothered them.

They entered Bradley's Big Guy supermarket that was a few roads ahead from Melvalds General Store and the RadioShack downtown. The store wasn't big or special, it was a town sized store with a lot of food options, medical supplies, cleaning products. The usual.

Once people saw the little girl with Jessica who was now thirteen, they knew that Danielle was the kid that lost her parents. It was 1979, mid-December, but despite it being December it was sunny outside. Which made Danielle's choice of outfit seem odd to others. Did it matter? No. But woman and their opinions.

Her choice of clothing made her look like a boy, but to the mothers it made her look lazy. How could a young lady just dress like that? she could have worn a skirt or something presentable but no, to them she looked like she was wearing pajamas.

Danielle heard an older woman in the milk section mutter "unbelievable" when she glanced down at the little girl. The young girl simply looked up at the woman who had black hair and basic brown eyes that stared back at her. Danielle believed the woman wanted her to say something considering that they were staring at each other with an uncomfortable silence.

Danielle then raised an eyebrow, looking more curious than defensive. "What's unbelievable?" She asked the tall woman in front of her.

The older woman was taken by surprise that Danielle was talking to her in such a sweet delicate voice. The only emotion displayed on the little girl's face was curiosity. The woman plastered a fake smile and kneeled down to reach the little girls height.

"Well sweetheart, most people when leaving their house wear something more presentable" The woman's tone was the tone that you use to four-year-olds or dogs, both considered stupid either way in the little girl's opinion. Danielle didn't like the tone, but she didn't show it. She never gave people the satisfaction.