viii. go home

Getting up from her bed was the easy part, changing her clothes was also the easy part

Getting up from her bed was the easy part, changing her clothes was also the easy part. Feeding her dog, making herself egos was great. 

The constant reminder that she would be stuck with Steve and Dustin was not so great. Getting eaten by a premature Demogorgon isn't the worst way to go. Dustin had told her over the SuperCom to meet them at the train tracks in five minutes so that's where she is headed. 

Danielle biked near the train tracks, apparently Dustin and Steve were leaving a trail of meat to get Dart. She spotted Steves car parked up ahead a good distance away from Eugene's Farm. Danielle dropped her bike besides Steve's car walking up on the train tracks going forward since thats the only way to the junkyard. Up ahead she could hear metal buckets clanging as both the boys walked ahead a few feet away, once she got close enough, she heard their conversation.

"So let me get this straight." Steve said as he threw a piece of meat back almost hitting the blonde. "You kept something you knew was probably dangerous in order to impress some girl who you just met?"

"Thats grossly oversimplifying things" The curly hair boy objected immediately. 

 "I mean, why would a girl like some nasty slug anyway?" Steve asked throwing another piece of meat hitting Danielles sneaker making her want to pick it up and throw it at his head.

"An interdimensional slug? Because that's awesome" Dustin says it as if it were the best thing in the world. Danielle would have agreed if the slug didn't look so deformed and didn't try to kill them. 

"Well even if she thought it was cool, which she didn't, I... I just..." Steve trailed off trying to find the words to tell a middle schooler that she clearly isn't interested. "I don't know, I feel like you're trying too hard." 

"Well, we can't all have your perfect hair, all right" Dustin grumbled. Danielle looked at Steves hair and she doesn't understand what about it makes it so special. 

"It's not about that hair man." Finally, Steve said something right for once. "They key with girls is... just act like you don't care."

No. Absolutely not. Danielle rolls her eyes. "Or maybe you aren't her type" she said making her presence known. Steve flinches glancing back at her.

"Jesus, where did you come from?" He asked startled.

"I've been here. Unfortunately. But I'm not going to let you mislead him with dating" She looks over at Dustin who stopped walking. "Are you even sure you like this girl?"

Dustin paused looking quite conflicted "I mean there might be...another girl." 

The blonde sighs "Then you definitely don't like her."

"Wait, h... hold on." Dustin stammered. "This first girl she is cool, great and everything but this other girl she's... different. I mean she actually cares despite what others say."