x. interrogation room

Danielle is no stranger to loss and grief

Danielle is no stranger to loss and grief. She knows what it's like, aware of the feeling. What she isn't used to is truly feeling it, tears appear not so often but they are there. But truly mourning someone has never happened before no matter how hard she tried her defense is always to shut down, bottling it all up.

That wasn't an opinion anymore. She mourned her sister that minute she believed she was dead. She cried for Bob who would have lived if it wasn't for her. Her clothes were proof that blood was on her hands. She was practically covered in it. She hadn't even realized that she was practically gripping the gun until they made it to the Byers residence when Valerie had taken it out of her grip.

The group of kids her age looked at her as they if they could relate. The teenagers stare at her as if they have failed. Only one adult stared at her as if she had done the most careless thing ever. 

And she did. She had acted impulsively. The thought of losing Jessica was too much to handle. She would have rather seen her sister's dead corpse herself then have someone else tell her.

Like the last time.

She glanced around the room and realized that she is stuck with these people now. 

You can't just forget something like this and not acknowledge each other. It's binds you together like vines, unwillingly. She wants nothing to do with them. Staying away was always the best option.

Now she understands that she doesn't have a choice anymore. Which will make it all harder.

Once they had gotten back to the Byers residence Joyce and Danielle seemed to have some sort of understanding that they would rather stay in each other's company. The others wouldn't have understood. Danielle helped Joyce before, and Joyce helped her. Both of them knew Bob, he was truly something else. His presence was always filled with optimism lightening the room up. 

Joyce had given Danielle one of Will's sweaters and jeans to change into. When then blonde had seen herself in the bathroom mirror she finally understood the horror in everyone's eyes. Her jeans were practically dyed with dead people's blood. Her eyes were bloodshot, her hair was damped, she was sure her hair was knotted but she didn't care.

She just felt so dirty. Any innocence she had was gone. She almost died three times in one day, she pressed the trigger to a gun twice and it wasn't for target practice, saw dead corpses and was covered in their blood, and she wasn't able to save one person. 

Danielle changed out of her clothes. Will's sweater didn't seem any different than her sweaters at home, it felt right. The jeans were slightly bigger, a bit stretched out from the bottom but aside from that they were fine. They didn't have any extra shoes, so she was forced to wear the same ones. Changing socks wouldn't have made a difference considering the shoes were wet.

The entire car ride had been filled with an uncomfortable silence. Every lie, revealed. Anything hidden, revealed. Max hadn't let go of her hand the entire car ride until they got to the house. Jessica wouldn't even talk to her. Valerie had tried but Danielle shut her out.