vii. it never goes their way

"I was expecting you to have a bruise

"I was expecting you to have a bruise." Mike commented as he inspected the blonde's neck. She didn't have a choice, Mike along with Lucas had insisted on checking her neck the second they all woke up. Just to shut them up, she let them and so far, she's really annoyed. 

Lucas hummed in response. "So did I."  

"Are the two of you done?" Max asked them as she sat on the couch next to Will, watching El who had a blindfold on tracking down Hopper. 

"Yeah, we are done." Mike took a step back, his eyes still on her neck. "Don't you find it weird that she doesn't have a bruise?" He turned his gaze to Max and Will looking at them questionably. 

Max scoffed as she crossed her arms. "How about we be happy that she doesn't have a bruised neck."

"We are but Mike has a point. Billy lifted her off the ground and his grip around her neck was really strong, she should have a bruise." Lucas added furrowing his eyebrows.

Danielle sighed. "It wasn't even that bad. You're overthinking it."

"You lost consciousness." Lucas deadpanned.

"Due to the lack of oxygen. I'm telling you it wasn't that bad." She told them as she walked over to the couch taking a seat next to Will who nodded.

"If she doesn't have a bruise then she's telling the truth. Maybe it wasn't as bad as it had looked." He agreed with her making the two other boys drop the subject.

"I found him." El spoke suddenly, all eyes went on her. This time it had taken her a lot longer to track down Hopper.

"Where is he?" Max leaned forward to hear El clearly.

"Woods."

"Woods?" Lucas asked as he sat down next to Max.

"He's with.... Will's mom." She explained.

Will's face morphs into confusion. "My.. my mom?"

Max furrows her eyebrows. "What are they doing?"

'Ill...annoy." El said slowly. Danielle frowned wondering if she heard that correctly. "They're going to Ill-annoy." She emphasized.

"Mike!" Karen calls out as she knocks on the door. "Breakfast!"

"Not now, mom!" He yelled back as he turned his attention back to El. "Illinois? Illinois, like the state?" he questioned.

El lifted the blindfold blinking a few times as her eyes adjusted. "Ill-annoy." She stammered shrugging.

"The state of Illinois?" He frowned.

Danielle rolled her eyes looking over at Mike. "Yes, the state of Illinois." She adverted her gaze over towards El. "Was my sister there? I tried calling her and Val earlier but there was no sign of them."