ii. basketball and applause

Danielles hangover was much worse than she had expected, two teachers had asked her to take off her sunglasses telling her they weren't allowed in class

Danielles hangover was much worse than she had expected, two teachers had asked her to take off her sunglasses telling her they weren't allowed in class. Either she took them off or left the room. They gave her the option and she took it. The lights were causing a sharp pain in her head, she had to keep the sunglasses on. 

It was currently lunch hour and Danielle was heading to the bathroom that was near Ms. Kelleys office. That bathroom was always empty and rarely used, the lights were dimmed, the stalls were dirty, the mirrors were rusted. It was the perfect place for her to be alone and attempt to get better without any interruptions. 

She knew Lucas would most likely be looking for her. He always looks for her before going with his group of friends, she has told him that he didn't need to check on her every day at every moment. But he was insistent and worried making her regret mentioning that she felt suicidal. 

It's not like she was going to do it. Like Ms. Kelley said there's a difference between thinking it and the reality to it. Thinking it was so much easier, the death would be quick and easy, no one would notice. While the reality to it was that the death won't be simple or easy, people will notice. Her sister would be all alone, Valerie would fall into a depression, Lucas would blame himself and Toothless would most likely be watching the front door every day waiting for her to come back.

Reality ruins everything.

Danielle was about to turn to the hall where the bathroom was when she heard someone. "Lucas, you actually care about this?" The voice made her freeze, Danielle took a step back hiding behind the corner making sure they didn't notice her.

"Yeah, I... I do. Maybe you should find something you care about too." He replied back with a hesitant tone not knowing how to talk with the redhead anymore, Danielle sighed leaning against the wall. 

She heard their footsteps halt. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?" Max asked starting to get pissed off. Danielle frowned at the redhead's tone towards her best friend. 

"Uh..." Lucas exhaled hesitating attempting to find the right words. "Your just...  It's... it's like you're not even here anymore. It's... it's like you're a ghost or something." he said with caution revealing what he felt. Lucas has been trying to keep them all together, but with the Byers gone and with Danielle and Max being strangers, it just wasn't possible. Nothing was the same and he just wanted all his friends back. 

"A ghost?" Max questioned sounding a bit hurt. "Really?"

Danielle knew she shouldn't be listening but some part of her just wanted to know something about Max. She never asked Lucas or anyone else in the party how the redhead was doing. She knew nothing about her. Max cut all contact, so Danielle respected that and stayed away, she never stood to close, never stayed in the same room for more than five seconds and never attempted to talk to her or look in her direction.

"Max." Lucas used his tone of worry that Danielle hears at least once a day. "I know something's wrong."

"Yeah, right. Yeah, something must be wrong with me because I broke up with you." She mocked making Danielle close her eyes tightening her jaw.