xiii. my mistake

Three months later

Three months later....

"This is ridiculous." Jessica muttered as she drove down the street with her sister in the passenger seat as Danielle skims through the application forms. Jessica tapped her fingers against the steering wheel before shaking her head. "No, I'm turning around."

Danielle scoffed as she turned to her head to the side looking at her sister. "You're being dramatic. It's just work."

"Which I shouldn't be allowing you to do." Jessica continued driving giving her sister a quick glance. "And the fact that you have Donald Melvad, Joyce and Bob on there as your references is fucked."

Danielle sighed placing the papers on her lap. When Jessica and her went back home after the whole Battle of Startcourt which Lucas likes to call it, she decided to tell Jessica... everything. How she had been sneaking out in the middle of the night for three years just to work, she revealed how Valerie had been on it while they were working in Scoops Ahoy and explained to her sister that she felt useless wanting to help. Jessica was pissed for obvious reasons, but last week Valerie called them telling them about the Family Video and how they were hiring which she heard from Robin. With Valerie's help Jessica gave Danielle permission to work as long as Jessica was there with her. Danielle begrudgingly agreed so now they were here in the car.

Jessica was once again pissed as she saw her little sisters job references. "Like seriously you got signatures and Joyce confirming that you worked at the Radio Shack. How did I not know this?" It sounded more like she was talking to herself, but Danielle answered either way.

"Because I do stuff behind your back all the time. It's not your fault I'm an expert at hiding things." she replied simply.

"Danielle." Jessica muttered as she continued to tap on the steering wheel maintaining her last bit of composure.

Danielle sighed looking out the window. "It's not even a big deal. I mean- this will be good for us. Don't you think me being in the car with you while you drive us to the Family Video is a huge accomplishment compared to me sneaking out working somewhere else. At least here you'll be able to keep an eye on me." she told her sister.

Jessica pursed her lips as she thought about. "Hmm, I guess it does benefit me in some way."

"And...." Danielle paused as she smirked. "You get to be around Steve."

Jessica's nose crinkled. "Eww, stop. I already told you that him and I are done."

Danielle raised an eyebrow as she turned staring at her sister's side profile. "Yeah, about that. I need you to put me in the loop because I still don't get it. Didn't the two of you... try?"

"For like a month until I called it quits." Jessica snorted as she stepped on the brakes seeing a red light. "He's great and all but he wants to settle down, and by settle down I'm talking about matrimony. He has this whole life envisioned and I'm just not that person, I didn't want to hold him back from finding that, so I broke up with him. I'm not ready to settle." She exhaled frustratedly.