viii. what the hell

Danielle stares up at the ceiling of the Bishop's Basement

Danielle stares up at the ceiling of the Bishop's Basement. What had happened earlier circling through her head over and over again. Darkness had surrounded Hawkins not long ago, she had been back at the Bishop's house for over two hours now, what had happened over at the Byers residence won't leave her mind.

Joyce stares at Danielle with eyes wide, tears falling down her cheeks. Without another word both Joyce and Danielle make their way to the door. Joyce rapidly opens the door for the blonde, who doesn't hesitate to enter. It didn't take long for her to stop and take in the state the house is in. Christmas lights were hanging everywhere, radios and lights were surrounding the entire living room.

She doesn't question it. She doesn't judge it. Danielle simply just observes the entire living room. Any other person would have immediately thought that Joyce Byers has officially gone mad. But not her. If it wasn't for the voice she has been hearing since yesterday.

"What did you ask earlier? Your question?" Ms. Byers looks at her desperately almost is if the next words Danielle speaks will give her hope or crush her heart.

The blonde makes eye contact "I asked if that was Will. I heard him"

Joyce suddenly walks towards Danielle in desperation making the younger girl take a few steps back uncomfortably wanting to keep the distance "You heard him? H- how?"

Danielle decides that whatever she tells Joyce next won't make her sound anymore crazy than what the mother is feeling. The blonde holds up her SuperCom " It started with my SuperCom" Joyce looks down at the device in her hand "There has been this high-pitched screechy noise whenever I've been near Rudolph Road. But then last night, I heard a voice which I recognized was your son's. He was singing a song."

"What song?" The mother asks.

Danielle furrows her eyebrows remembering the lyrics to the song which she recognized. "It was Should I stay or should I go" as the words leave her mouth, more tears start leaking through the mother's eyes. The young girl seriously wants to leave, people who cry make her uncomfortable.

Danielle doesn't waste any more time as she continues "Then as I was on my way here his voice appeared again, it got clearer as I got near your house. By the time I was near your car. I heard him again, only this time it wasn't through the SuperCom. It was coming from inside your house."

Joyce gasps in relief "So it wasn't just me" she whispers more to herself "I'm not crazy. I'm not crazy" she starts sobbing even more.

The blonde stands there awkwardly staring at the sobbing mother wondering what she had just gotten herself into. "Maybe...you should take a seat?" She says, sounding more like a question than a statement. Joyce nods without hesitation making her way to the couch sitting down, trembling.

It was like that for the next five minutes. A mother in shock and a twelve-year-old watching silently. Danielle knew she wasn't going to get any answers, so she decided to just do what she came here to do. Reaching in her pocket she takes out the check Donald had given her, slowly walking towards Joyce placing it in her lap as the women doesn't make any movement acknowledging it. "I came here to give you your check for the week. For as long as you need, I'll be working your shift so take all the time you need finding your son." Danielle steps back as Joyce eyes meets her. The woman is looking at her as if she is seeing her for the first time.