xiv. everything has changed

Everything had changed

Nothing stayed the same as they had thought.

It had been four months since the dance. Summer was only three months away.

At first it was normal, school was pretty much the same aside from the fact that she now had a group of friends. It was an unexpected change for them and the rest of the school. Now that Danielle was part of their group, Troy and James had officially backed off leaving the boys alone.

Secondly, there was her and Max. Their friendship had...developed. To a certain extent, the redhead was probably the only person that was allowed to hug her now. Certain lines were crossed, they held hands, they hugged, hung out in Danielle's backyard playing with the dog, had their silent reading time. They fought here and there.

It was normal. Until Danielle started to distance herself from the redhead. She started feeling differently about Max and she didn't know how to process it. She was never good with dealing with feelings and always shut down resulting in hurting people. She didn't want to hurt the redhead so she stayed away.

Of course Jessica noticed right away.

Both of them were on their way to the mall that had recently opened, it was currently Saturday so they didn't have school. Jessica would graduate this year and she needed a summer job, so they decided to walk to the mall to meet up with Valerie. Jessica continued to glance at her sister who looked sick.

"What's wrong with you?" She finally asked the blonde who finally seemed to realize where she was for a split second.

"What?" Danielle answered absentmindedly.

"You're acting weird. You look extremely sick and you have this distant look on your face." She emphasized. When the blond didn't answer Jessica finally decided to ask. "Did something happen between you and Max?"

That seemed to grab Danielle's attention as she stopped walking looking at her sister with a dour expression. "What makes you say that?"

Jessica rolled her eyes. "You can't be serious right now. The two of you are inseparable. Everyday it's always Max this, Max that, I'm going to hang out with Max, Max is coming over. But for this past week you've been gloomy and silent." She explained to the blonde who looked frustrated. "What's going on?"

"I- I think.... I might like her" the blonde finally revealed. Jessica's eyes widen as she frantically looked around. They were right in front of the mall, people were all around them. Jessica grabbed her sister's arm pulling her away from the crowd. From a distance Valerie saw them so she followed.

"You cant say things like that Danielle" Jessica whisper-shouts. Both of them are hiding in the corner away from people, none of them acknowledged Valerie who leaned against the wall trying to figure out what they were talking about.

"Say things like what? That I like her?"

Her sister looked panicked, no one can hear them so Danielle doesn't understand what her sister's problem is, it's only Valerie there with them "Yeah I get that but you can't say things like that in public, Dani."