ix. the lab

"You're positive that was Dart?"

The grouped walked in the woods following the train tracks. Danielle has been through these woods plenty of times and she is sure they are getting closer to the Byers residence. The three boys are walking up front while Max and Danielle are behind them. The blonde massages the back of her head trying to subdue the pain every once in a while. Whenever her and the redhead make eye contact Max quickly adverts her eyes anywhere else. She looked extremely angry.

"Yes. He had the same exact yellow pattern on his butt." 

"He was tiny two days ago" the redhead pointed out trying to understand all of it.

"Well, he's molted five times already." Dustin explained.

Steve furrows his eyebrows "Malted?"

"Molted. Shed his skin to make room for growth like hornworms" Dustin detailed.

"When's he going to molt again?" Asked Max looking around in every direction as if the monsters would pop up and attack them. 

"Soon, he shed his skin a lot quicker than before. When he does, he'll be fully grown. So will his friends." 

"Yeah, and he's gonna eat a lot more than cats." Steve commented stopping Lucas in his tracks.

"Wait" Lucas grabbed Dustin's shoulder stopping him "A cat? Dart ate a cate?" 

Dustin's eyes widen "No, What? No." he immediately denied. Danielle noted that Dustin didn't tell Lucas the entire truth.

"What are you talking about? He ate mews." Steve interjected obviously not understanding that Dustin hadn't told Lucas everything. 

"Mews? Who's mews?" Max looked up at Steve with a questionable expression.

"It's Dustin's cat" Steve revealed.

"Steve!"

"I knew it! You kept him!" Lucas declared.

"No!" the curly haired boy denied not so convincingly " No. No, I....  No, I..." Dustin sighed giving up "He missed me. He wanted to come home."

"Well, you sure gave him a warm welcome home feast" Danielle commented rubbing the back of her head again. The pain finally subsided.

Lucas eyes widened as he processed her words looking at Dustin and Danielle "Thats how she knew. You lied to me about her getting stuck in the upside down. She doesn't know anything! She only helped you clean it up, didn't she?" He yelled at his friend.

Danielle shook her head "No, he only lied about not having the deformed lizard. Everything else is true. Who cares? We are wasting time"

"I care!" He yelled turning to Dusin "You put the party in jeopardy! You broke the law!"

"So did you! You hypocrite!" Dustin yelled back matching the other boy's anger.

"What?"

"You told a stranger the truth! You gave Mike shit, for the same exact reason last year because of El and now you went and are doing the same exact thing!" Dustin called out his hypocrisy.