xii. his retribution

She wasn't sure how long she had been out; all she knew was that someone was running their fingers through her hair mumbling incoherent words

She wasn't sure how long she had been out; all she knew was that someone was running their fingers through her hair mumbling incoherent words. Each word sounded muffled; she could barely hear anything over the ringing. There was one thing she could hear loud and clear, the sound of something exploding at the distance.

Danielle's eyes snapped open instantly, she groaned at the sharp pain when she moved. She felt hands on her shoulder shaking her awake. "Dani." The voice was starting to become clearer as all her senses started to come to her. With the last of her strength Danielle forced herself to sit up with the help of the person who was with her.

"Dani." The person breathed out in relief. "Are you okay?" Danielle looked at her sister with confusion.

"What? Where am I?" She glanced around taking in her surroundings, her brain a bit fuzzy as her eyesight started to adjust.

Jessica's eyes widened in panic. "I'm Jessica, your sister." the older girl was praying her sister didn't get memory loss.

Danielle glared at Jessica. "I asked where I was, not who you were, Jess." She snapped irritably. The sound of something exploding made her snap her head towards the mall, the explosives were followed by the sound of shrieking. Danielle's heart dropped. Now she remembered. "El." She breathed out as she stood from her spot which was pretty cramped up, she looked down at the red seats realizing they were in the white convertible Steve had driven. "What- how did..."

"I'm not sure. When we came back Lucas was the one who found you unconscious here with blood." Jessica explained as she saw her sister stumble out of the car, struggling to open the door. "Dani... you can't."

Danielle didn't stop as she succeeded opening the door stepping out of the car unsteadily. "You don't get to make that choice from me." She told her sister as stepped out the vehicle as the ringing in her ears started to fade. "How long was I out?"

"I- I don't know we barely got here three minutes ago." Jessica told her making Danielle turn to the mall. The fireworks... they were using the fireworks meaning El was in trouble. Her gaze turned towards the gate that Max closed which was now wide open.

"The fireworks." Danielle winced as she moved her head, the throbbing was getting worse. "When did they set the fireworks off?"

"A minute ago." Jessica stepped out of the vehicle standing behind her sister who seemed much paler. "Dani, please don't go in there. You're drained and injured." her concern and worry were evident in her voice.

"The fireworks..." Danielle repeated as the mall illuminated green now as another firework goes off. The fireworks, the fireworks.... what happens when the fireworks run out? her hands started to get sweaty.

"Dani."

"I can't stay here. I have to go in there, they could die." She took a step forward only for Jessica to grab her wrist pulling her back. "What are you doing?" she frowned.