xi. plank's constant

Max rubbed her eyes cleaning the evidence of her tears, even though everyone had already seen her cry, they don't mention it

Max rubbed her eyes cleaning the evidence of her tears, even though everyone had already seen her cry, they don't mention it. She glances down at her silver chain bracelet the blonde had bought her and El on their girls' day.  Nancy walked up to them with a sad expression. "Alright... lets go."

While Hopper called Mike both Lucas and Max helped Eleven up the stairs seeing as she couldn't put any pressure on it. "Am I the only one who's going to ask?" Lucas spoke suddenly making both girls look at him confused.

"Ask what?" El questioned as she walked up another step wincing.

"When did Danielle and Jessica decide they would stay here in Hawkins? I mean... they didn't even talk or anything. They weren't near each other at all, when did they decide she would stay?" He had his eyebrows furrowed. "It just doesn't add up."

El shrugged. "They're sisters, they know each other well."

Max looked down at the ground with a sad frown at the mention of the blonde. "Her and Jessica have known each other for years. They are closer than any other siblings I've seen. They just know when a decision has been made." a decision that wasn't worth telling until last minute.

Mike comes back taking Lucas's place as they walk outside towards the car. El grunts in pain catching Max's attention. "El, you're bleeding." She pointed out as she saw blood coming out of the brunettes nose making Mike turn his head.

"You okay?" He asked in concern.

"Yeah." El winced as she felt her leg burn every time, she took a step. 

"Here." Mike opened the door to the back. Max guided Eleven inside helping her lay down, once she saw that Eleven was okay, she walked over to the middle row taking a seat next to Will. He tapped her shoulder making her turn her head. She looked down at his hand seeing the gift Danielle had given to her back at the cabin.

"Thanks." She murmured taking the gift placing it in her lap.

Nancy stuck the keys in the ignition turning it to start the engine. Only it didn't start, the engine sputtered in response each time she turned the key. Jonathan turned his head staring at his girlfriend. "What's wrong?"

"I don't... I don't know." she replied back as she turned the key again the engine sputtering continuously not starting. "You can't be serious. Come on!"

"Didn't your mom just buy this car?" Lucas asked making Max frown leaning forward attempting to look over Nancy's shoulder.

"Yes. I'm sure it's fine." She reassured despite not feeling so confident herself. 

"Did you leave the lights on?" Will questioned.

"No." 

"Do we have gas?" Lucas asked.

"Yes!" She exclaimed in frustration as she continued to turn the key harshly. "Come on!"

"Yeah, obviously it's not working." Max spoke up afraid Nancy would cause more damage to the car.