v. the first warning sign

November of 1985

November of 1985

It's been a whole month since Max ended things with Danielle in October, funny how the month they met was also the month they fell apart. The world was cruel in more ways than one.

Danielle felt nothing. She has fully processed it, processed that Max is no longer in her life. Her backyard has never felt so empty, the grass seemed to be matching her mood. It was lifeless, colorless and no longer has the beauty it did before.

She was starting to wish she never laid eyes on the redhead because now without her life felt incomplete.

School wasn't so bad. Lucas and she were getting along very well, they had their workouts and would talk often about the students and mostly talk about Eleven and Will. Lucas seemed much more loose around her, less hesitant than before. He was the only one out of the entire group who checked up on her when the rest of the group realized Max and Danielle were no longer together.

Danielle was feeling irritable lately, everyone seemed to be pissing her off, hitting a nerve. It's not that they are doing anything specific on purpose. They were simply existing. Danielle had every right to be angry, how could she not? but like always she had kept it in. Anger has never been something she let out. So, to distract herself from snapping at people due to misdirected anger she bought herself a Walkman, music has always been her salvation at finding peace.

It works from time to time. When the Xanax starts to withdrawal, it was the music that kept her sane. What pissed her off was the constant number of times the teachers believe she will take the headphones off just for their benefit for her to listen to a lesson she already knows. It's even more annoying when her history partner Bianca takes them off her head every once in a while. Like now.

"Bianca." Danielle muttered as the cheerleader placed the headphones on the table. Both of them sitting at the back of the classroom.

"How are we supposed to work together when you can't even hear me?" The dirty blonde asked annoyed as she passed the paper to Danielle who glanced over it before raising an eyebrow.

"No." Danielle whispered as she read the note pissed off.

Bianca rolled her eyes. "See that's the thing, I don't believe you."

"Well, I don't care about what you believe."

"Ladies." The teachers stern voice makes them raise their heads looking forward at the classroom, all eyes on them. "Is there something you would like to share to the class?"

Danielle fights off a smirk before responding. "Yes actually, Bianca was wondering if your grandma is the one who picks out your outfits, they're a bit outdated don't you think?" His grandma was dead.

The cheerleader's eyes widened as the words left Danielles mouth, the class snickers at the teachers red face. "Detention! The both of you have detention after school!" he turned around going back to the lesson but not before glaring at the rest of the students.