Amethyst

--- Beau "Cyclone" Simpson Point of View ---

"He had to have been out of his god damn mind." Maverick came and sat down on a chair in front of my desk.

"You and I both had much respect for Kazansky, that being said this was something that he implemented, and it has pushed though effective immediately."

"In order for the fighter pilots to continue to fly some of our pilots who have never flown with a Weapons Specialist is now going to have to have a back seat pilot?"

"They only have to handle six months of training with one."

I handed him two files.

"He hand picked who they would be flying with before they died, I think theses two are the ones you would be interested in."

He took it and opened it.

"Lieutenant Bradley Bradshaw will be flying with Cora Fiennes call sign "Sparrow". And Jake Seresin will be flying with..."

He stopped mid-sentence I was seeing the annoyance and shock on his face, so I finished it for him.

"Lieutenant Seresin will be flying with Stella Duval call sign "Amethyst"."

"Come on, Jake is an asshole at the best of time, and I say this with all due respect you can't put her in the cockpit with a ferial animal like him."  

I started laughing.

"This isn't funny..." I saw Maverick start to crack a smile, something I hardly saw on his face.

"It kind of is. Amethyst and Hangman – I'm going to be recording their cockpit arguments." I did my best to stifle my giggles.

--- Jake's Point of View ---

{2 Week's Later}

I was more than a little bit annoyed, I walked out to my aircraft, standing beside it was my new Weapons Officer, my back seat pilot.

She was nothing special, brown hair, green eyes and simple looks – I was kind of disappointed that she wasn't hot. I looked her up and down, she was really short, that was kind of cute.

I saw her helmet where her call sigh "Amethyst" was clearly visible in purple and blue front, the callsign somehow suited her. 

"You ready?" I growled at her.

"Waiting on you...it's nice to meet you Jake." She smiled at me, yeah that smile changed her looks totally, she seemed way to innocent to be weapons specialist. 

"Call me Hangman, Jake is personal." I grumbled. 

"Then you can call me Amethyst."

"Let's get this over with..."

--- Stella's Point of View ---

As I climbed into the cock pit behind Hangman I couldn't help but remember the conversation with Admiral Kazansky about a year before he died, when he told me about this program. In spite of our rank and age differences we had become friends.

{One Year Ago}

"He is a lot like I was." Kazansky muttered with a raspy voice, he had just told me he wanted me to work with fucking Hangman.

"I've never liked him."

"You have never met him, I think it will be a good fit, maybe you can make him see that he doesn't have to be the way he is...and you need a firm hand – he could teach you something about yourself."

I shook my head at him.

"If you were not my superior I would throw something at you...alright, if the Navy passes it, I will do my best to work with him."

"It's all I ask."

I was brought back to the present by Jakes rough and angry voice. 

"Are you strapped in?" I heard him over the microphone, I fixed my helmet on so it was secure.

"Yes. Thank you for asking."

He started to taxi the plane onto the runway.