sixty five

"This is stupid."

"No it's not Tony."

"I'm a grown adult—"

"So are we." I gesture around to the rest of the team surrounding the conference table.

We're doing a puzzle. A little team bonding, because we haven't been acting like a team lately.

"But these are for children." He points down at the puzzle.

"Then why are you taking so long to just do the border?" I challenge him, quirking an eyebrow.

He scowls and looks away.

Nat, Peter, Wanda and I are working on finding pieces that are the same color. Steve, Sam, and Thor are working on the same thing but at the other end of the table, while Tony, Bucky, and Bruce work on the border.

Poor Bruce, his huge green fingers and puzzles just do not go together.

Tomorrow, Peter's group starts to map out the railroads and gather intel on what trains Hydra intercepts and all that jazz. Tomorrow, I don't really do anything. James and I are expected at the club on Friday, three days from now.

I feel like my assignment is pretty easy, I'll be in disguise...like a spy. I honestly think that I'll have a lot of fun.

People recognize James, especially SHIELD agents. So he has to stay back and make sure I don't die or anything.

I glare over at Steve as he throws a puzzle piece at me, seeing that it's blue—the sky. The puzzle is a picture of the Golden Gate Bridge.

"So," I start, seeing a few of our team members look up at me. "Nat and I were thinking."

"That's not good."

I roll my eyes at Sam. "It's a good idea...I think."

"Go on." Tony says.

"We think that it would be a good idea to turn the Tower into a shelter or uh...what are they called? Like a living center for families and people that were affected by the Blip."

"It would be good for those who returned to find that other people have moved into their homes." Nat further explains.

"Plus, Stark Industries is mainly located in the other place...so, we could turn the Tower into something for the people."

Tony glances between us, his gaze going distant which means he's thinking.

"Would be good for press."

Majority of the team just groans at his response. "Tony..."

"I'm kidding, jeez." He purses his lips and places down the puzzle piece he was holding. "I think it's a good idea. People can apply and we can provide them with the means to get back on their feet. We have the space."

I grin wide and look over at Nat to see her smiling too.

"But this will be your project, you and Nat are in charge."

I look over at the red head. "Sounds good to me."

⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️

We worked on the puzzle for another two hours and made pretty good progress. We had some of the blue and red sections done, majority of the border was completed as well.

Now, I lean against Peter's headboard, Alpine resting in my lap. I run a hand down her back, twirling my fingers in her fur.

Peter's room is actually pretty similar to mine, with the exception of colors. While mine is a mix of greys and creams, he has blues and reds. He also has a large desk with an extensive technological set up.

Right now, he sits at his desk typing up what I'm assuming is his summer reading homework.

"How would you compare Romeo and Darcy?"

"Uh...not sure. Go on cliff notes or spark notes. That's where I would get my answers."

He turns to me over his shoulder. "Did you do anything without cheating?"

"No." He shakes his head and turns back to the computer, but I see him pause. "Did you...ever graduate high school?"

"Nope." I grab the TV remote and change the channel, bored of Spongebob.

"Why not?"

"The school system was fucked when everyone disappeared. I was 18, and I just didn't want to go back. It felt unnecessary."

"But don't you need like a diploma to do stuff?"

"Not to be an Avenger. Or to work with SHIELD."

"True." He closes out of his tab and swivels around in the chair. "Do you ever think about going back and finishing?"

"Nope. I don't want to. I'd be pretty weird for someone in their 20s to be attending high school with teenagers."

"I get that...what do you wanna do for your birthday? It's on Saturday."

"I know. I don't really want to do anything."

Pete's eyes grow wide as he looks at me. "What do you mean you don't want to do anything?"

"I haven't celebrated my birthday in a long time."

"Well, we need to do something."

"You know what I wanna do?"

"I'm listening."

"Order Chinese food and eat a lot of ice cream. Watch some movies. That sounds like the perfect birthday to me."

Peter smiles and jumps on the bed, startling Alpine who bleats and gets up from my lap. She hops off the bed as Peter comes closer to me.

"We can do that."

He leans in and kisses me softly, myself following suit. He pulls back after a few seconds and looks into my eyes.

"You know I love you right?"

"Yeah, I know Spidey. I love you too."

⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️

"Look, James. We need to work together." I sent him a glance across the empty conference table. "I don't want to get my cover blown because of you."

We're currently working through our plan for tomorrow night, but the man across from me is being a little difficult. More so than usual.

"I don't even have to do anything."

"Yes you do." I take a deep breath, reigning in my short temper. "You're going to keep an eye out while I do my thing. And then when we leave the club, you have to follow to make sure I don't get in any trouble. See? Easy."

"So, while you're out whoring, I just get to sit back and watch?"

I ignore his word choice and grit my teeth. "Yes. All you have to do is watch my back."

"Oh trust me," he leans slightly forward on his elbows, those blue eyes piercing right through me. "I'll be watching your back."

I fight to keep my expression blank, ignoring the fluttering in my stomach from his words.

"I don't care where your eyes go. Let's just get this stupid job over with."