thirteen

"Come on, I feel like I'm the only one eating here." I look up from where I was devouring my pancakes.

"I'm eating." I say while glaring at this new Bruce.

We called him up and decided on a place to meet for lunch. Much to our surprise, he's big and green, but Bruce.

"Sorry. But seriously, try some of that. Have some eggs."

"I'm so confused." Scott says while shaking his head.

"These are confusing times."

I stuff another bite of my pancake into my mouth and then I look back at Bruce.

"So," I quickly swallow. "This is why you've been holed up in the Tower?"

"I know," he points at himself. "It's crazy, I get it. I'm wearing shirts now."

"Yeah. What? How? Why?" Scott asks.

"Five years ago, we got our asses beat. Except it was worse for me cause I lost twice. First Hulk lost, then Banner lost, and then we all lost."

"No one blamed you Bruce." Nat says.

"I did. For years I've been treating the Hulk like he's some kind of disease, something to get rid of. But then I start looking at him as the cure. Eighteen months in the gamma lab. I put the brains and the brawn together and now look at me. Best of both worlds."

"Excuse me, Mr Hulk?" My eyes focus on the three kids that walk up to Bruce.

"Yes?"

"Can we get a photo?"

"100% little person." I can't help but feel a little awkward and weird...I used to fight with Hulk but now he's not...Hulk.

He's Bulk. Bruce and Hulk.

I stifle a laugh as Bruce gives Scott his phone asking to take the picture.

"Say green."

I chuckle as they all say green and Scott takes the picture.

"Do you want to grab one with me? I'm Ant-Man." I shake my head as I get second hand embarrassment.

I struggle to stay serious as the awkwardness increases and I meet Nat's gaze over the table.

I finish my pancakes and block out the uncomfortable conversation, turning to see that the kids are gone.

"I'll take a picture with you Scott." I say while pulling my phone out.

He waves his hand at me, and I put my phone down.

"Bruce."

"Dab."

"You did not just—jesus..." I rub my temple.

"Bruce." Steve tries again.

"Listen to your mom. She knows better."

"About what we were saying."

"Right. The whole time travel do-over? Eh guys it's outside of my area of expertise."

"Well you pulled this off." Nat says with a shrug. "I remember a time when that seemed pretty impossible too."

"Alright, alright. I'll try. You've got me hooked. But I'm not promising anything."

I let out a sigh of relief as Bruce agrees.

We finish our lunch, catching up with Bruce and Scott, and then we head back to the Compound. Bruce is gonna gather some of his stuff from the Tower and then come back tonight and then Scott's staying in one of the guest rooms.