forty one

"Why are you two here?" I ask while buckling.

"Wanted to get you when you finished. How was it? Where are the goats? Were you crying? What happened?" Tony's head whips back and forth between the road and I.

"Can you just shut up? Please."

I take a deep breath as I cover my face with my hands and lean forward, putting my head on my knees.

I tentatively reach out towards Tony's thoughts to see what he's thinking.

What the hell is happening with her? I don't even know what to do. Bringing everyone back should've helped her, not stop her progress. Hopefully this will help.

I pull back and then touch Peter's.

If she would just talk to me, I could help her. I love her and it's not fair, not fair at all. Wanna be there for her but it's not...

I take a shaky breath as I sit up and wipe my wet eyes, looking out at the passing buildings.

"Where are we going?" I ask, my voice cracking slightly.

"Did you know I have a beach house?"

I jerk back slightly. "And you never told me?"

"Cause I knew you'd want to stay there."

"Okay..."

"I didn't want you to go." I just shake my head in response.

"Where's the beach house?"

"Long Beach Island in Jersey."

"That's kinda far. Why are you telling me this?"

"Cause you and Peter are staying there for a couple days."

I jerk around and look at Peter, a matching look of shock on his face. "What? Why?"

"Because you two need it."

"Jesus..." I slump back in my seat and lean on the arm rest. "I don't have any clothes."

"Um, same." Peter says from the back.

"There's stuff at the house."

⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️

I fell asleep, thankfully, and so when I woke up we were on the island already and Tony pulled up to this huge white beach mansion. Of course he would have the biggest house on the street.

"Okay kids, get out."

"So, you're just dumping us here?"

"Yes. Everything you need's in the house. Plus money, so if you have to buy something."

"But I have counseling tomorrow."

"Reschedule."

"What about the goats?" I huff and cross my arms.

"The Manchurian Candidate can watch over them. He's already attached to the white one."

"Her name is Alpine." I shut the door and walk up to the front door, opening the house with the set of keys that Tony gave me.

I'm met with a huge foyer, a light brown wood staircase to the left. There's a study to the left and a spare living room to the right. I walk further inside, and am met with a large kitchen decked out in marble, greys, and whites. Natural light floods the rooms, courtesy of the large rectangular windows in the family room.