forty nine

It's been four hours.

Four. Whole. Hours.

And I am a nervous wreck.

Normally, if I were on the mission I'd be fine, I guess. But it's different when you're being held back and just left to wait and see what happens.

I tried watching TV, reading, nothing can help distract me. Alpine's with James across the way in his bedroom and I'm all alone.

Peter's team was taking the Connecticut warehouse, so Steve's team would be here later than Peter's as they were heading to Boston.

The plan for each, was to sneak inside and basically just take it down. Pretty simple...

Besides the whole getting in and out without being killed.

I let out a sigh and push up off the bed, padding over to the door and walking out to the kitchen.

I spend the next three hours baking. My music plays lowly in the background, while I had made cookies and a banana bread.

Now, while the bread is baking, I sip on a coffee and color in a new coloring book. This one is full of nature shit...kinda boring. But the store I get my coloring items at, were out of all Avengers books.

How rude.

I hear a door shut and internally groan as I know who's coming towards me.

James plops down on the stool to my left, Alpine nowhere to be seen. Wordlessly, I rip out a page of the book and slide it over to him.

"Why the hell am I coloring trees?"

"They didn't have any Avengers books."

"Well...they never have me in them, so trees will suffice for now."

I shake my head at him, while coloring in a body of water. "You're a new Avenger...so, they haven't made any updated versions."

"No one would want an assassin in a coloring book, Snow."

"I think it would be cool. You could color the metal arm and everything." I glance over at him. "Thank god you cut your hair though. No offense."

Bucky grunts which causes me to smile. I hear a ding from the oven, signaling that the banana bread is done.

As I take it out, I can't help but wonder what's taking them so long.

⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️

"Wake up."

I groan as I turn my head away from James, a little confused by his statement.

"Snow, they're back."

I open my eyes and blink away the blurriness, lifting my head and glancing around. I'm still in the kitchen. I look down and frown as I notice drool all over my coloring of the ocean.

"Damn." I mutter at the ruined picture.

I wipe my mouth and quickly shut the book, looking over at the time. I pause a second—there was no way they were gone for that long.

James looks at me and from his expression, I know something went wrong.

I hear voices in the distance and I know they're in the nearest conference room.

As I walk over, all I can think about was how easy this assignment was. We beat the goddamn universe and something goes wrong here?

Bullshit.

The voices get louder as I near the room, and I can see Tony gesturing wildly with his hands, Steve getting his face about something. Thank god the rooms have glass walls.