nine

"It's been 23 days since Thanos came to Earth." Rhodey says, while I eat my sandwich and banana.

"World governments are in pieces." I look over at Nat, her hair a pretty shade of platinum blonde. "The parts that are still working, are trying to take a census and it looks like he did," I grit my teeth and look away as Peter's picture comes up on the screen. "Well, he did exactly what he said he was gonna do. Thanos wiped out...50% of all living creatures."

I finish my sandwich, starting on my second, and start rubbing my temples at the oncoming headache.

"Where is he now? Where?" Tony asks.

I look over at a freshly shaven Steve. "We don't know. He just opened a portal and walked through."

Tony sighs and looks at Thor. "What's wrong with him?"

I turn and see Thor is normal clothes, sulking. His hair's cropped short, which is new. I reach out and touch his thoughts, wincing at the agony and pain. So, I pull back and shakily take a breath.

"Oh, he's pissed." The raccoon says. "He thinks he failed. Which, of course, he did, but there's a lot of that going around, ain't there?"

"Honestly until this exact second I thought you were a Build-A-Bear."

"Maybe I am."

"We've been hunting Thanos for three weeks now." Steve says. "Deep space scans and satellites, and we got nothing. Tony, Tal, you guys fought him."

"Who told you that?" My dad asks. "I didn't fight him. No, he wiped my face with a planet while the Bleecker Street magician gave away the stone."

I don't say anything, I honestly have nothing to say. We lost. That's it. It's over. Get over it.

"That's what happened. There was no fight, cause he's not beatable."

"Did he give you any clues any coordinates, anything?"

"Uh...I saw this coming. A few years back I had a vision. I didn't wanna believe it. Thought I was dreaming."

Steve sighs and glances at me, as if I have the answer.

"She can beat him." My gaze flicks over to Carol as she stares at me intently.

I sigh and shake my head. I don't care what the wizard or the God said about me, I am not strong. I am not good enough to beat him. I can't. And I'm tired of people saying that I'm this thing to be feared, when I don't even truly know where I came from.

"She can. I've visited Hala and heard rumors of you. This all powerful witch."

I clench my jaw and cross my arms, watching as the woman in front of me is going to continue.

"I think you can beat him. They made you into this weapon—"

It's like a chord in me snaps.

My chairs falls backwards as I stand up, my hands flat against the table. I know I probably look...well, like I need a lot of help, but I don't care.

I notice Nat lean slightly back in her chair as I stare at Carol.

"I am not a weapon. I am a person." My voice is raspy and it cracks from lack of use.

I push away from the table and walk out of the room on shaky legs. I want to cry, I do, but I'm not going to.

I won't let myself.

I don't get the luxury of crying and letting it out, while people are dead. Nope.

I get back to my room and slump against my door, my windows opening up to the outside. A sigh leaves my lips as I look around, my eyes catching on my photo wall.