twenty four.

JORDAN BAKER POV

JORDAN BAKER POV

John stepped down from the chair and approached me. "I still can't believe that you convinced me to host this."

"Aren't you glad that I did? You're gonna go down as the best host in Brentwood!" I exclaimed.

He laughed that off. "Yeahhhh, I don't know about that. Brentwood's known for its legendary parties."

Suddenly, a girl from Brentwood High walked up to us with a tray of drinks in her hand. "Drinks, gentlemen?"

I looked her up and down, examining her outfit. She's wearing a mini skirt and her legs look good as hell.

I flirted with her. "Well if my waitress is looking this good, I have no choice but to drink."

I grabbed a drink and took a sip while looking at her the entire time. She flirted back. "We miss you, Jordan."

Then she walked away while rocking her hips side to side, causing me to focus on her booty.

"Shit, I miss you too," I murmured while staring at her butt.

John chuckled and hit me. "You're a fool, man!"

I took some more sips and looked around. I saw Asher not too far away, and I figured that this would be as good a time as any to introduce him to John.

"ASHER!"

He followed my voice and I beckoned him over. I wrapped my arm around him and introduced my two best friends to each other.

"Asher, this is my best friend John that I was telling you about. John, this is my best friend Asher."

Asher gave me the side eye. "How about you don't introduce us as both of your best friends next time?"

"Yeah man, you're only allowed to have one best friend!" John said angrily.

His tone made Asher grow worried. Little did he know that John was joking.

John and I laughed at him. "He's joking, Asher! Loosen up!"

John nodded. "Yeah, I'm not the jealous type. It's nice to meet you."

He stuck his hand out and Asher shook it. "Likewise."

"How come we're just now meeting though?" John asked.

"I moved and then Jordan met you, so."

"Oh. So you were the first bestie."

"And it should've stayed that way," Asher said bitterly while glaring at me.

I huffed. "Asher."

He put his hand up to shut me up. "I gotta go, but uh, nice house," he told John. "Cherish it before you lose it all."

And then he rushed off.

I sucked my teeth and called after him. "ASHER!"

But of course he didn't come back.

I ran my hand over my face in distress. I should've known that Asher's jealousy would get the best of him.

John's fretting beside me. "Was that a threat?!"

"No but this is," a grim voice said from behind us. We turned around and saw Khalil and his little friends.

Khalil stepped up to me threateningly. "Get the fuck out of this party pretty boy, or we'll make you."

I challenged him. "See, if I was in Freeridge I would be fazed, but you're on my turf now. Meaning that you don't call the shots around here."

"Shots are about to ring out if you don't get the fuck on!" one of the other boys shouted. His name is Darnell or some shit.

I had to laugh at that empty threat. "With what gun?"

Then the four of them whipped out their glocks and my breath hitched as I looked at the weapons that are in my face right now. Khalil and his boys smirked menacingly and John quickly stepped in front of me and put Khalil's gun down.

"Y'ALL BROUGHT GUNS TO MY HOME?! WHAT THE FUCK?!"

Khalil shrugged. "Always gotta stay strapped in case a little Brentwood bitch decides to tries us."

He looked directly at me now, which angered me. I'm not a bitch and I'm not about to act like one. So I regained my breathing and said, "Well if you're gonna use that gun, then use it."

John snapped his head on to me. "WHAT THE FUCK, JORDAN?!"

And Khalil looked like he was about to pull the trigger too. John was not okay with that. "Okay, I'm gonna need you four to LEAVE!" he demanded furiously while pointing at the front door.

Khalil snickered. "Whatever. This ain't our type of scene anyway." He looked at his boys. "Let's roll out!"

His crew followed out behind him as John pushed me in a burst of anger. "WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?!"

But I didn't answer him. I just stared at the now open front door furiously. Khalil never intended on partying tonight. He just wanted me to know that I'm in his crosshairs.

Well now I know.

So much for them not messing with me, right mom?

DARNELL