thirteen.

JORDAN BAKER POV

JORDAN BAKER POV

NEXT DAY

"JORDAN, YOU GOTTA GET GOING NOW OR YOU'RE GOING TO BE LATE!" Dad yelled from downstairs.

"I'M COMING!"

I looked in the mirror and fixed my hair. Then I fixed my clothes and tied my sneakers. My expensive sneakers. My clothes are expensive too.

These Freeridge kids got nothing on me.

I'mma show them how us Brentwoodians are living. Which is why I'm pulling up to school in my red mustang with the roof retracted.

Gotta flex, right?

"JORDAN!"

I rushed downstairs and dad and Olivia are waiting for me. Dad said, "Y'all ready? Let's go."

"Nu uh, I'm taking my car!" I announced.

Dad disagreed. "Jordan, that's not wise."

"I know." I leaned in to him and smirked. "It's judicious."

He and Olivia exchanged a bewildered look.

I grabbed my car keys. "Let's go, Liv!"

She threw her hands up and followed me out of the house.

-

I parked in front of my new school. This building is just as small and unattractive as the houses I just passed by. Makes me want to gag.

"This is where you wanted to go to school?" I said to my sister. "This isn't impressive at all."

She spoke with an attitude. "This isn't Brentwood, Jordan. This is the hood. And honestly, you're not gonna last a day."

I laughed that off. "We'll see about that."

I hopped out of the car and students are staring at me distastefully. Then they'd look at my car and roll their eyes.

Jealous much?

Olivia and I entered the school and I shouted at the top of my lungs, making my presence known. "HELLLOOOOO FREERIDGE!"

Heads snapped on to me. Everyone examined my expensive clothes and began gossiping. I can see the envy in their eyes.

"What? Y'all mad that my clothes cost more than your entire school budget?"

Olivia hit me and whisper yelled. "Jordan, that's not cool!"

I just brushed her off and headed in the direction of the office. Olivia headed in the other direction though.

"You're not gonna come with me to the office?!"

"I need to meet up with Latrelle!"

Latrelle? Every time his name comes out of my sister's mouth I wanna rip my hair out. Like right now.