twenty seven.

MONSE FINNIE POV

MONSE FINNIE POV

I scurried by Latrelle's side as the paramedics rushed him into the ambulance. He's still unconscious and I'm freaking the fuck out.

"Is he going to be okay?!"

"Considering the fact that he was shot in the shoulder, I'm positive your friend will pull through," a paramedic stated.

They placed the stretcher inside of the ambulance and I tried to hop in, but a lady stopped me. "Ma'am, you can't ride with us!"

"I have to be by his side! Someone has to be with him!"

"Ma'am, please don't fight us on this! The faster we get your friend to the hospital, the faster we can help him!"

I kept protesting with the woman until I felt someone grab my arm. I looked and saw John Ambrose, the host of the party.

"Come on."

He led me away from the ambulance and I crossed my arms over myself as the vehicle drove away. I began shivering for some reason, and it's definitely not because of the temperature.

I looked over at John who seems so calm. "How are you not freaking out?!"

"Oh I am. I've seen more guns tonight than in my entire lifetime."

I'm lost. "Wait, there were more guns?"

He pursed his lips, not really wanting to talk about it. "It's a long story."

Suddenly, a cop approached me. "Ma'am, we heard you were with the victim?"

"Yes!"

"And did you see the suspect?"

"Yes."

"Describe them for us?"

I recalled how the shooter looked. "Um, he was a brown skinned boy and he had a cereal box shaped head, but I wasn't really focused on him! I was focusing on the gun!"

The cop nodded and spoke reassuringly. "Don't worry, we're going to get the bottom of this! We don't tolerate gun violence in Brentwood!"

And then he hurried off and I just watched him angrily because they don't tolerate gun violence in Brentwood, but if it was Freeridge...

My phone rung before I finished that thought. I quickly pulled it out and saw that it was my dad calling. I walked away from John and answered. "Dad?!

"Monse, I heard what happened! Are you okay?!"

"Yeah I'm fine. Latrelle was the target." The sight of the gun and the actual gunshot came rushing back to me, and my eyes watered. "That boy shot him right in of me, dad! And I would've been hit if Latrelle didn't push me out of the way!"