thirty eight.

MONSE FINNIE POV

MONSE FINNIE POV

"So how is everything?" Dad asked me as we sat at the kitchen table. "I know I haven't been around to talk."

I fixated on my homework. "I've had better days."

"Better days? I don't like the sound of that."

I put my pencil down and elaborated. "Jamal and Ruby hate my guts."

Dad's startled. "Why?! You've been friends with them since forever!"

"They're mad because I'm still friends with Latrelle after what he did to Dwayne."

Dad looks all awkward now. "Oh...you know about that night?"

"Yes, and you do too because you were there." I looked at him disappointedly. "How come you never told me?"

"I just didn't want you worrying about anything," he replied. "Besides, Dwayne wanted all of us to let it go. Water under the bridge."

"Yeah and Dwayne's strong for that." I frowned. "I just wish Jamal would let it go."

Dad chucked. "Well you know that Jamal's a daddy's boy. He goes hard for his father."

"Understatement."

Dad reached over to touch my hand. "They'll talk to you again, honey. They just need to cool down." I just nodded and he changed the topic. "How is Latrelle faring?"

My mood brightened up at the mention of Latrelle. "His shoulder's healing well."

"Thank god." Dad put his hands up in a prayer stance. "That boy didn't deserve to get shot. And speaking of getting shot, do you know who shot him now?"

I hesitated. "Um..."

"Latrelle won't say a word and I can't solve this case unless I know who did it."

"I do know who shot him, but it's not my place to say."

Dad tilted his head at me. "Monse, we're talking about saving his life here."

"Dad, if Latrelle doesn't want you to know, then he doesn't want you to know."

He sighed, knowing that I wasn't going to go against Latrelle's wishes. "Looks like I'm doing this the hard way then."

I chuckled and my phone vibrated. It was a text from Latrelle.

LATRELLE : We need to talk.