Dew

Dan felt weightless as if he'd just been hit by a truck.

Long after Rebecca left, Dan remained by the kitchen island, lost in thought.

'No one liked her, she was always acting all self-righteous and stuff...'

Dan closed his eyes, his hand clenching. He wouldn't tolerate it, not anymore.

She couldn't keep badmouthing Lily, no, not in front of him.

'She had truly lost it. Then, father and mother never truly bothered anymore...'

Dan sighed.

Her family was messed up...it's not like his had been any better.

'...mom and dad never paid her much attention and I guess you could say she also wanted to be loved. She certainly wouldn't have gotten it from dad or mom...'

"Lily."

He buried his face in his palms.

'I wonder what she saw in you, Dan.'

"I wonder that too," he whispered.

Dan stood and made his way upstairs. His hand paused over the doorknob and he looked over at Lily's room down the corridor.

He sighed and opened the door.
He laid on the bed and stared blankly at the ceiling.

"Gosh, I miss you." He said in a breath.
He sat back up and buried his face in his hand.

'It's been a while since he wrote.'

He stood and went to the desk where he'd placed his notebook.

Dan sat for a moment and thought about what to write.
He felt...numb for a reason.

No, not numb, he could still feel, the word was empty.

That was how he felt whenever he thought about her. And then the realisation that she wasn't there anymore and that he would never see her again would hit him full force.

It was enough to make him mad.
He wanted to pour it out on paper, he wanted his despair to bleed through his ink into the pages of the book.

If he could, he would write her back to life. And that was exactly what he did.

Dan started scribbling on his notebook. He pictured her smile, how it had made him feel, her kind eyes, how they'd made his insides fill with warmth.

He wrote till he wasn't thinking anymore. He allowed his pain, sorrow and sadness paint his words for him.

He was a wilting rose that had lost its source of light and joy.

He needed that light, the light that would enlighten his darkness. He needed it or the darkness would choke him to death.

He was barely holding on by a thread, he knew he was almost gone, almost completely one with the darkness. He could feel it stirring inside of him.

He had been chosen. Chosen for destruction, chosen to lay waste to humanity, chosen to hurt people.

He didn't want that, he didn't want to hurt anyone.

If he let go, if he succumbed, that would truly be it for him.

There would be no redemption...no second chances, no salvation.

Dan leaned against the chair and closed his eyes. Moments later, sleep drifted him away into the land of tarnished dreams.