Never

Dan had been giving Philip the cold shoulder all week and it bothered the blue-eyed shop manager.

"Okay, spill it, " Philip groaned annoyed, dropping a box of old, used books on the counter.

Dan adjusted his glasses and pretended as if no one was even there and continued with his book-keeping.

Dan's silence affected Philip more than he would care to admit.

Dan hadn't always been a talker but at least he spoke with Philip, but now he wasn't even speaking to him at all.

He knew what he did, but it'd been for Dan's own good.

Even though Dan didn't see it or appreciate it, Philip had always seen Dan as more than friends or co-workers, but as a younger brother.

He was two years older than Dan and after taking care of the bookshop, teasing Dan was his next best thing.

"Look, Dan, I'm really sorry, " he faced Dan, expecting him to look up—but he didn't.

But his hands had stopped their movements.

Philip sighed.

"I know what I did was wrong. It was personal to you and I knew you wanted to be the one to tell her—" he paused.

"I'm really sorry, " he made sure his voice conveyed his sincerity.

Dan laid his hands flat on the counter and sighed.

"I know you mean well Philip but please, I—" Dan paused and looked up at him.

Philip looked remorseful.

"I don't want to lose her, she's everything, " Dan said quietly.

Philip noticed Dan's tone and he noticed the tired look in his eyes.

"Did something happen?" Philip asked, his brows furrowing in concern.

Dan sighed and ran his hand through his chestnut hair.

"On our last date, I was kinda short with her, " Dan gripped the edge of the counter tightly, his head bowed.

'And it was because of you, you stupid shit,' Dan thought.

But that wasn't true, he was at fault for not gaining control over his emotions.

He hated that fact, he hated himself for it.

He'd caught the slightest fear in her eyes and it'd nearly shattered him.

He hated it so much.

Dan let out a shaky breath.

"I'm really sorry, bro, "

"I know, " Dan said softly.

"How'd she react?" Philip said, concern evident in his voice.

Dan raised his head and looked into his blue eyes.

"You know the angel she is, she barely even acted like it bothered her, "

Dan sighed again for the umpteenth time and straightened.

"I'm a moron, "

Philip chuckled a little.

"No, you're not, "

A moment passed.

"I love her, " Dan said quietly.

"I love her so much Philip I can't breathe, "

Philip's eyes widened to the size of saucers.

Dan was really serious about this girl.