Never again

"Hey man, " Philip chirped quietly on his small bed.

"Yeah, " Dan replied from the floor.

"Are you leaving again?" Philip asked quietly.

Dan sat up and faced him.

'Why was he asking him that?'

"Why-"

Philip 'pffted' and rolled on his side turning away from him.

"I don't want you hurting Lily again, " Philip stated.

Philip sighed.

Dan's eyes lowered and he bit his lip.

Philip removed his cover rather annoyed and sat up facing Dan.

"You have no idea do you?" he started.

"I wasn't joking when I said I wanted to punch you in the face earlier, " Philip continued, glaring at Dan.

"You left without so much as a 'goodbye', not a single word, now you come back looking all weird. What's with those eyes anyways?"

Dan clenched his jaw.

His attempt at changing his eye color earlier that day had failed miserably.

Of course they were bound to ask questions.

Questions he wasn't ready to answer, or rather, questions he didn't have the slightest idea 'how' to answer.

"She thought you died, man. Heck, we both did."

"It wasn't easy...with you gone, " Philip said quietly.

"She cried every single day. Every. Single. Day."

"Because of you," he continued.

"She'd lost so much weight I didn't know what to do and the only thing I could think about was you beating the shit out of me if you ever came back and saw her like that."

Philip sighed.

"She loves you man, a lot, apparently, " Philip stated quietly.

Dan's eyes widened as he stared at Philip in shock.

"You've cared too much about all the wrong things, the not so pretty things but she doesn't care about any of that, "

"In case you haven't noticed, all she's ever cared about is you, not your past, or whatever wrong you've committed that even you can't remember."

Dan looked down-his eyes filled.

"You need to tell her how you really feel, Dan, I think one year's enough for you to think things over. In fact, I still don't know what's there to even think over, " Philip all but yelled.

"She loves you for who you are, no judgement. It seems your wish was finally granted don't you think?"

Dan couldn't think straight.

He'd been taken away from them but it'd been his choice to stay at the mansion with the Sentinels, it had also been his choice to stop coming all together to see them. And it had been for a reason.

It had all been for her, to protect her, to keep her safe from himself.

He hated it, he hated everything.

The truth was, no matter how hard it was for him to, he had to still leave.

He had to leave Lily.

It was just the first day and it was already hard to breathe.

The hunger had increased ten-fold.