We were one of the last people being sent out through the portal, well last aside from Hanji and Erwin. Pixis had me write down the group's names and what city they were going to. Once I was done I was supposed to hand the list to Petra.

First through the portal was Mom and Armin, next was Molbit and Rico, then Nanaba and Hannes. After they went we had to stop for a moment as we waited for the alley to clear so Erwin could open the next portal. When the alley finally cleared Erwin made the portal bigger than just the eyes hole he was looking through and sent Ymir and Christa through. Next up was Reiner and Berthold, then Mikasa and Annie. We waited a little more and then sent through Sasha and Connie, then Jean and Marco. Pixis and Shadis went next Pixis gave me a nod before walking through.

I handed the paper to Petra before Levi and I walked through ours. I could only imagine Hanji and Erwin went through theirs right after. I looked at Levi took a deep breath and nodded. We started heading towards the nearest store which was a few blocks away. I could;t help but take a deep breath. The fresh air was nice and the warm feeling of the sun on my skin was a feeling I didn't realize I was longing for.

"I missed it too," Levi whispered, closing his eyes and looking up for a moment. He let out a deep breath and looked back at me, "we don't have much time," his tone was quiet.

We made it to the store and when we got inside we went straight to work. Levi and I tried to stay near each other for most of the time, but we had to split up a few times just to grab items if we wanted to make the hour deadline in time. There was so much to grab in so little time. We had to get a lot of stuff, but not too much or it would look suspicious. We also had to keep track of how expensive everything was. We didn't want to grab too much and not have enough. There were a few items we had to pass up because they went over budget. We didn't pass up anything that people needed, but some of the more expensive food items had to be put back.

Just as we thought we were home, I saw out of the corner of my eye a uniform and I knew to keep my eyes down at the list and pretend I didn't see anything. I can't get nervous or let any emotions show at all. I can't even acknowledge their presence. They didn't seem to pay me much mind. Good. Levi came around the corner after grabbing the last item and... oh shit. The guard is walking over to us.

"How is your day going fellas?" he asked, walking up to us. There was a hint of malice under his deceitfully friendly tone. Oh no. We don't have time for this, our hour is nearly up and we haven't even paid yet.

When we came out at the alley I nearly forgot where we were supposed to go. I started walking and I heard laughing behind me. "Jean's it's this way," Marco said pointing in the opposite direction.

"I knew that," I said, turning around with an awkward smile. We started heading into the store. We found most of the stuff on our list with no issues. While we were hedging to get the last few items we saw someone with a red badge keeping their head towards the ground. I wanted to walk up to her and take her with us and offer her a chance to fight with us, but I knew I couldn't. It kills me that I have to walk past and pretend not to see her. If anything I had to act repulsed by her to keep our cover.

I looked towards Marco and I could see the same look on his face. He was thinking what I was. He just looked at me and shook his head. "I know," I whispered. We started to walk away when we heard something fall on the floor. I turned to look and saw her badge had fallen off. She was reaching down to pick it up when a man in uniform walked up behind her and pinned her to the ground and put a gun to the back of her head.

"Don't move or I'll blow your head off."

"Please, it was an accident," she cried.

"You removed your badge as an act of rebellion that's no accident."

"It fell off, please, I have to feed my family," they put restraints on her and started to walk her out with guns still trained on her. If she was a blue badge they would have shot her without any hesitation.

I turned to go after them and Marco caught my arm. His eyes were looking down at the ground and his jaw was clenched. "Don't" he whispered. The amount of strain in his voice he was holding himself back too. I took a deep breath and backed down. I turned back to Marco and gave him a nod.

"Sorry," I whispered. We took a deep breath and finished grabbing the rest of our stuff. We headed to check out and then back to the alley. We were right on time. We saw the portal open and quickly walked through.

We walked out of the portal and looked around. It was sunny and warm out and I couldn't tell whether I wanted to hide away from the light or stay in it forever.

"Ymir let's go, we need to hurry this list is long," Christa said showing me it.

"Okay let's go." We headed into the store and grabbed what we came for. Everything went perfect, we were in and out without an issue. We were walking back towards the alley and we were passing a police station when we noticed someone walking past us. We kept our heads down but something made me lookup. The person who was walking past us had a gun out. My head shot up to make sure that the gun wasn't pointing towards us.

Before I could see what happened a gunshot rang out. Christa let out a little yelp and frantically looked at me to make sure I wasn't shot. I looked around and saw someone lying dead on the sidewalk across the street. My heart was racing as I saw the blue badge still pinned to his shirt. The man who just shot him quickly looked towards us, the gun still out.

"Is there an issue?" he asked. Shit, he heard Christa yelp. She wasn't supposed to react.

I wanted nothing more than to grab the gun from his hands and fire the rest of the clip into him, but I just quickly looked up at him and smiled. "Sorry about her she gets scared really easily especially by loud noises."

"Is that so," he asked he didn't seem to believe me.

I wanted to tell her not to but I knew I couldn't the second she looked up at him I mentally cursed to myself.

She looked up at him and smiled, "yes I'm so sorry for jumping, but thank you for keeping our city safe," she said and I could see the pain behind her eyes.

"Your welcome," he glared before walking away without another word.

"I didn't," she mumbled. I could have sworn she was about to use her power on him, but she managed to get him off our trail without it.

"Let's get back before we get stopped again," I whispered. She nodded but I could still see how hard she fought herself not to look back at that man lying dead just across the street. I on the other hand was trying my best to ignore his ghost who was trying to talk to me right now. He knew I could see him, but talking to him right now might blow our cover.

"Please, not now," I whispered as quietly as I could. Christa didn't even acknowledge it, she knew it wasn't meant for her.

We walked into the alley and saw the tiny portal up against the wall. They were waiting for us. We quickly poked a finger through to let them know we were ready and the alley was clear. They opened the portal and we walked in it closed behind us the second we stepped through.