The Storm

After the rest of the long sleepless night, we ended up getting out of bed with a strange feeling in the air. We should be exhausted, but strangely we were all awake. There was so much anxiety revolving around today. Everything was going to change, whether we were around to see it or not, nothing will be the same.

I took a deep breath and looked over at my costume. It might be a little early to get changed, but if I don't do it now then I fear I might never. I reached my hand out and grabbed my jacket and I didn't notice until now but my hands were trembling.

I felt hands wrap around my waist as a head leaned on my shoulder. "Hey everything is going to be okay," Jean said whispering to me. I felt his head leave my shoulder for a second before returning. The next thing I felt was another pair of hands on the other side of my waist and another head on my shoulder.

"Yeah, we will all have each other's backs out there today," Marco said with confidence that almost made me believe that everything will be okay.

I watched as Levi walked around to stand in front of me before putting his arms out with a small smile. I leaned in and put my head on his shoulder letting him wrap his arms around me too.

"Thanks, guys."

"Of course baby," Levi whispered.

I felt them start to let go and I felt my arms move before I could stop them. I grabbed their arms lightly and they stopped moving and instantly just went back to where they were pulling me into a tighter hug.

After a few minutes, I was okay and took a deep breath. I think they realized that I was doing better mentally and they let me go. Jean gave me a pat on the back before backing away. Levi just stayed next to me and looked up at me with worry in his eyes.

"Are you sure you're okay now?" He asked.

"Yeah, I'm doing better now," I said with a nod. I reached out for my costume again this time my hands were steady, I doubt this feeling would last. The second we walk through the portal I know the anxiety is going to come back, if not sooner than that. I started putting my costume on and noticed that everyone else was doing the same. I think we all were in the same boat when it comes to the stress we were all facing. We all were afraid there was no denying that, but we didn't want that fear stopping us from doing what we needed to do.

We finished getting dressed and Levi helped me put my braces on. After he tied the braces he took a breath and sat down on the bed. "Are you okay?" I asked, looking at him and seeing his expression.

"My back's just bothering me, I'll be okay," he said, moving his shoulders around trying to stretch it out a bit.

"Again?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine, I just need a minute."

I nodded and leaned down and placed a kiss on his forehead. "I'm going to check in with Erwin and the others and just run over the plan again to make sure we all know what to do," I said before heading towards the door. Before I could walk out mom had started walking into the room. I guess none of us heard her knock too much anxiety in the room to focus on the noises all around us.

"Sorry," she mumbled after walking in without us answering, not that we really minded. "I wanted to talk to you before you guys left," she asked, looking at Levi and me specifically.

Jean and Marco nodded and started heading out of the room, not before giving mom a hug and a kiss on the cheek before they left.

Levi patted the bed so she could come in and sit to talk to us but she stayed standing there. "I just wanted to come in and say some things before you go," she said. I could see how much she was shaking. She was nervous today, and I know it's because she feared for the worst. Who wouldn't in this circumstance? I mean we all know it, there's a chance we aren't coming home after today.