Waiting Game

"Have you seen my-?" Levi started asking about his knives.

"You don't need it," I said back for the fifth time. We were both very new to this. A mission without our gear and without our costumes. Our normal routine was getting switched around.

"Oh right," he mumbled, "what about?" He started asking about his jacket.

"You don't need that either," I said before walking over to my braces. I picked them up before freezing. I ran my fingers over the laces and looked up at Levi who was walking over to help me put them on. I paused and looked down at them before looking back at Levi. "I can't take these can I?"

"You need them," he shook his head.

"Yeah, but they are a part of my costume. They might be too recognizable," I let out a sigh setting them back down and looking up at him, "Besides if we do this right we won't have to use my powers."

He seemed hesitant to let me leave them, but he just nodded and patted me on the back, "we got this." He sounded more convinced today than he did last night, but I still had my doubts. Most of our missions don't go as planned in one way or another. I'm just wondering how this one could fuck up.

"Stop that, we need to keep a more positive outlook."

"I'm positive something is going to happen that we didn't plan for," I said before turning back around and grabbing my mask, and shoving it way down in my pocket. We had decided to take them as a backup in case shit hit the fan. Then maybe we can put our masks on before anyone notices.

Levi just shook his head at my negativity. He grabbed me by my hips and pulled me into a kiss. "Don't be so negative hun," he whispered in my ear. "Say it with me. Everything is going to be okay."

"If I say it, will you get off my ass for a minute?"

"If you say it I'll give you another kiss," he said with a smile I just couldn't resist.

"Fine, everything will be okay. Probably," I mumbled.

"Close enough," he said pulling me in for another kiss.

"Hey no time for making out we gotta get going," Connie said coming to grab us.

"Is everyone ready?" I asked as Levi let go of my hips and we started following Connie towards the common area.

"Just about everyone," he nodded.

"Everyone is in normal clothes and wearing layers?" I asked.

"Yup and everyone has their masks in their pockets."

"Good."

"Do we know about the check-in process yet?" Levi asked. It was the one thing we were still trying to figure out.

"We have to show our IDs," Connie mumbled.

"Okay we can work with that," I nodded.

"Are you sure?" Connie asked. "I mean all of our IDs are outdated. Most of us only have our old school IDs, and all of them have our powers on them."

"I'll explain before we go through the portal," I said as we turned the corner making it to the rest of the group. The last few people seemed to be walking in each checking their materials and double-checking their outfits. I can tell no one was really comfortable without their normal gear and costumes.

"It feels like I'm naked," Hitch finally mumbled and everyone silently nodded in agreement.

I gave them a quick rundown of the plans and the backup plans and my idea on how we could get through the ID check.