The Truth

After a while of waiting, we all started to get nervous. Did they realize something was up? Was this all just some elaborate trap to catch some of us? No, they wouldn't risk this many civilians' lives just to catch a few of us... or would they? Would they stoop to that level?

"They would, but that isn't the case," Levi whispered nodding his head towards the podium where a man was walking out. Oh, thank god.

I let out a sigh of relief as I saw the older gentleman walk up and clear his throat. I watched as he opened his mouth to start talking and crossed my fingers that Eld was close enough.

"Hello everyone," the man greeted normally. I was wondering if we had already failed. I wanted to turn around and ask if Eld had failed, but doing so might draw some attention to us. I just held my breath and waited for something that showed that this would work. "I have some things I wanted to address today. Specifically, the truth," I let out a sigh of relief as I recognized the speech I wrote. Eld had memorized it beforehand, but he has to remember it make no mistakes and make the guy's voice sound convincing enough to really sell it.

I know not all of the speech will probably get out there but I'm hoping they don't stop the man instantly before he can get anything out there. The way his words had started some guards were already turning their heads knowing something was off.

"The truth... The truth is they don't want you to know anything I'm about to say and they will probably remove me the second they realize that I came here to spread the truth and not the bullshit propaganda they want me to. The exiles, the cursed are not your enemies! The true enemies are these laws and the fear-mongering being spread around by people like me. Th3ey have been killing exiles and cursed putting them into camps and they aren't even fighting back. They are sitting there in cages for nothing more than just existing. They just want freedom, they just want to be equal with the rest of us, but they are new, and the government and higher-ups fear that which can't be easily controlled."

The man wasn't able to get out another word before he was dragged off the stage by men in black suits and earpieces. "Sorry, we are having some technical difficulties," one of the men mumbled into the mic before escorting the man off stage.

Instantly I sent Annie's group a text with a single word. "Now."

Hopefully, they were able to get it in time. Mina had to control the man and get him away from the people who dragged him away and near Christa somehow. This was going to be the most difficult part.

I felt Christa lean her head on me when I realized my arm was still wrapped around her. I looked at her and she gave me a suggestive smile to get me to lean down. When I leaned in to hear her "dirty suggestion" she whispered, "I'm going to make this easy and try and get backstage by myself. It will be easy for me and less dangerous."

"You mean more dangerous," I whispered back.

"Not necessarily," She mumbled, "I mean all I have to do is pretend I'm lost, and then when they as what I'm doing I can just manipulate them. Even if I don't use my power on them I could just tell them I got lost looking for the bathroom."

"No."

"Let me do this," she said and I blinked and she was gone. Fuck did she just-.

"She did," Levi whispered.

I hate her power. I let out a sigh before looking at Levi. But if it worked on me it should work on them. "She will be okay," I whispered to myself looking at Levi.

"She will, she has to be because if she's not then Ymir will kill both of us with no hesitation or remorse."

"Great," I mumbled.

"Sorry Eren," I mumbled as I walked towards the guarded door. I put on my innocent face and gave the guard a shy look. "Excuse me, sir," I whispered quietly.

He looked down at me and raised an eyebrow. "Can I help you?" he asked.

"I was wondering if you knew where the bathroom was?" I asked lulling him into a false sense of security.

"Oh," he said, almost looking relieved that was what I was asking. Good. the less suspicion on me the more susceptible he will be. "Yes it's that way down the hallway take a right and it's on the left side," He explained.

"Thank you so much I was looking for it this whole time and just couldn't find it for the life of me," I let out a giddy laugh as I gagged internally.

"Of course, don't hesitate if you need anything else," he said in a lower voice. Ew, gross his this asshole trying to hit on me. He's like 50. I just gave him a little smile and pressed my elbows inwards hoping to draw his attention more. Sure enough, his eyes went straight to my chest.

"Actually there is something else you can help me with," I said with a suggestive smile. I watched as a stupid grin appeared on his face. Ha, he thinks he's about to get laid... this poor sucker. I gestured my finger down so he would lean lower in. He leaned down and let me whisper in his ear. Checkmate. "I was wondering if you could let me in the restricted area and forget I even exist."

He stood up straight and looked straight through me with glazed-over eyes, "Of course," he said and moved out of the way letting me in. I slipped right inside and pretended as if I belonged here. The main thing about being somewhere you aren't supposed to be and fitting in is acting like you fit in. Not many people will question it. If you look nervous people will question you, but if you hold your head up high and walk around like you own the place people won't bat an eye, and those that do, I can easily manipulate and get them to forget.

Before walking in I had ditched the hat and glasses and had tied my jacket around my waist and walked with my head held high. If I did get caught I could just escape in the crowd, put the jacket glasses, and hat back on and find Eren and the others and hide in the crowd with them. Instantly I saw people walking towards me none of them batted an eye as they passed me. Thank god. I kept walking and just started looking around for the familiar face. I made it to a section where I saw a bunch of people and a lot of commotion. I realized I was in the right place.

I wanted to make sure Mina had already taken control before approaching. I made eye contact with the man and he quickly blinked three times. Yup, that's Mina. She's asking for help. She's probably in over her head.

"What is going on out there?" I asked storming up to them. "What on earth was that?" I let out a frustrated sigh and rubbed at my face before glaring at the man Mina was possessing. "You were just supposed to stick to the script, not go off on a total tirade.

No one questioned who I was, they all just started agreeing with me, figuring I was like this dude's mistress or someone who actually knew him.

"I know I know, I'm sorry I just couldn't do it anymore it was just all too stressful," Mina said and I gave the man a slap on the cheek not hard enough to hurt Mina but enough to really sell the act before I pulled him by the shirt and whispered in his ear. "You will forget all of today and wake up believing everything you said." I stood up and said, "we are through," I said before walking out.

Mina pretended to start breathing funny, "But babe," she called before letting the body fall limp as I stormed off. She left the body and I left as quick as I could to find Eren. No one else questioned me as I stormed through the halls. I walked past the guard that let me in at the start, his eyes still glazed over as he looked right through me. I headed back to where Eren, Levi, and Eld were.

Surprisingly everything went well. We signaled the other teams to head out and head back. We started heading towards the exit when we realized the lines to get out of here weren't moving. We had made it next to Pixis's group and after an hour of no one moving and nothing happening we realized something was up.

"I'm going to go check it out," Hitch said. She didn't move and it took me a minute to realize she made an illusion of herself standing next to us rather than her actually being here. She was probably up at the front by now. After a few more minutes she must have returned cause her illusion was talking which meant it was probably her.

"Problem. They aren't letting anyone out."

I watched as Eren and Levi looked at each other. Eren looked like he was mentally talking to Levi and every once and a while Levi would make a face nod or shake his head. They were thinking of a plan. Hopefully, they could get us out of here.