Permanent Consequences

I waited for a moment, these few seconds lasting a lifetime. If they were going to gun us down they should just do it already, most of the steam was gone by now since Jean couldn't make any more of it now that he was in this force field with us. They had a clear shot of us just doing it. Get it over with. Or am I already dead and I just haven't realized it yet? I opened my eyes to check and looked up seeing them get to their feet. Nope not dead yet, but here I am staring down the barrel of so many guns. Just as they started pulling the trigger I saw a flash of green.

Before I knew what happened the force field was broken and we were getting yanked off our feet and thrown around in the air. Before I could realize what happened I was back on the floor on top of Jean and Marco. Levi was laying on top of me. I looked around. We are in the middle of a dimly lit field. Where are we? Did I die?

"That was a close one," Hanji said, taking a deep breath. I looked around just as Erwin closed the portal.

I was still trying to piece together what just happened. "You're lucky I was still able to use my vines or you four would have been goners." Though Hanji's words were playful, her tone was filled with relief and her eyes had tears in them. So she pulled us out? She didn't even seem to think it was going to work by the look on her face.

She collapsed to her knees and pulled us into a tight hug. I could tell she felt absolutely exhausted, and she still had a ton of wounded people to heal.

I looked over at Franz who seemed to be giving Hanji a moment to rest. He was walking around healing people, but even he looked like he was reaching his limit.

It looked like we were in the middle of nowhere. The only sources of light were a few torches here and there and some flashlights. Where the light ended was just a dark void, every once in a while my eyes would lock on to something moving in the darkness? With how high up that is it has to be the tops of trees swaying in the night breeze. I looked to the sky and could see the moon, it looked so pretty, so bright, and next to it was a sea of stars that fluttered about.

I let my eyes fall back to the people around us and the commotion going on. I tried to look around and focus on something, anything. My job wasn't done. I needed to keep helping. The more I looked around the more everything became unfocused. I didn't know what was happening until my vision started to darken. I just pulled Levi close to me and held him tightly as I blacked out.

I watched as Eren pulled Levi close before his head slumped over and he fell back against my arm. I quickly looked over him to make sure he wasn't hit with any of the bullets that were coming at us when Marco gently placed his hand on my back. "He's okay, he just overdid it back there. His adrenaline must have worn off."

I nodded but insisted on keeping the two of them near us. There were so many people around and any one of them could be a spy. I wasn't letting these two out of my sight especially since they are in such a vulnerable state. Marco moved over so that he was sitting next to me.

"I'll look over them in a minute," Hanji said, still trying to get up enough energy to get back on her feet.

"They'll be fine, worry about some of the other wounded," I said, after making sure there was no blood coming off of them, well aside from the blood that was due to overuse of their powers.

As Hanji finally pulled herself off the ground I noticed some blood on the ground near us. I looked around to make sure it was none of ours. That's when I saw Marco's hand. It was on his leg and there was blood seeping through his fingertips.

"You were hit?" I asked leaning in to get a closer look. I was about to call Hanji back when he stopped me. "I was grazed, it's fine. I just need to keep some pressure on it, that's all."