Be Ready for Anything

All of yesterday and today was a lot better. Everyone was treating us normally, or at least trying to. It's progress. I'm still a little mad that it took Jean yelling at them for them to finally realize they were being assholes. Like I get that most of them were just worried about us, but at the same time letting it go on for so long? Taking it that far? It wasn't necessary. I think the thing that gets to me the most is that they couldn't see how it was hurting us, they didn't listen or even talk to us, but the second Jean says something they listen. It almost makes it seem more like they didn't realize what they were doing instead they are just following what people say. They felt like they had to forgive us rather than actually doing so cause they wanted to.

"No matter what happens you always manage to find the negatives huh," Levi rolled his eyes pulling me close.

"Sorry, I'm just in my head."

"I can tell." He changed the subject and brought it back to the conversation we were supposed to be having when I zoned out. "So the plan for tonight is as good as it's going to get?"

"I think so," I mumbled, laying my head on his chest. I knew we were going to have to get up, but I wanted so desperately to just stay here in his arms. We took an afternoon nap knowing that tonight we were also going with Hassam on the mission.

"Well good, because it's almost time to meet the others."

We needed more people this time around. We were sure they were planning something. The last time was too easy, and usually, when we have an easy mission it doesn't work out the same way twice. Especially now I've noticed they are getting more violent with protestors. Just the other day a protestor had their head cracked open by a guard slamming them to the floor while trying to "apprehend" him. They didn't survive. I guess they don't like that we are getting more and more people on our side.

Last time we wanted as few people as possible on the mission to avoid attracting too much attention. This time around I'm sure plenty of eyes will be on Hassam already since the last time he was at a protest someone recorded his speech and it has been everywhere recently.

I'm sure they aren't very happy about it. The target on Hassam's back is bigger than ever. We need everyone we could spare to keep him safe.

I let out a sigh and leaned on my elbows looking Levi in the eyes. "Fine," I mumbled. I didn't want to get up or get dressed. I just want to lay in bed and cuddle. Levi leaned in and placed a kiss on my lips laughing a little at the pout on my face.

"Cute," he said, holding me close and placing little pecks on my lips.

"Now you're making me want to stay more," I rolled my eyes.

"Oh no what a shame," he said sarcastically.

I let out a dramatic sigh before raising myself up in my arms before an idea came to mind.

"Don't."

"Too late," I laughed, pushing myself up and straddling Levi's lap. "We have five minutes to kill," I said, rolling my hips against his.

"We both know this would take a lot longer than five minutes," Levi shook his head, "though this is rather tempting, we can't be late to the mission."

"Why not?"

"Because the last thing we need is someone coming to look for us and walking in to see us... having a little fun."

I quickly jumped off his lap realizing that was the last thing I would want. The person that would come to grab us would probably be Pixis, and he is the last person I wanted coming in here.

"We should get ready."

"We should," he laughed before coming up behind me and putting his hands on my hips. "But if we aren't too tired, and the offer still stands after the mission I'll be happy to accept," he whispered in my ear.

As much as I wanted to flirt back, my thoughts kept going dark. If we make it back. If no one dies. If we aren't traumatized by the end of tonight. I took a deep breath and forced them all away before nodding at him, "yeah, I'd like that."

He looked worried, but before he could say anything Pixis poked his head in. "You guys almost ready?"

"Yeah we're getting dressed now," I said with a nod.

"Okay, before you do," Pixis said walking in, "bring all your knives," he said to Levi mostly but to me also. I only had one knife, but Levi had several. Where was he going to put them all?"

"How?" Levi asked, knowing that some of his holders were attached to his costume jacket, which he couldn't exactly wear on this mission.

"Well, Hitch is going on the mission too. I asked her if she could use her power to make an illusion."

"Oh smart," Eren nodded, "but what happens if she needs to use her power on a larger scale. Wouldn't it zap her powers a little?"

"No, I talked to her already, she said she can handle doing both."

"Okay." If she's sure then I'll trust her powers.

"Alright, I'm going to finish grabbing the others," Pixis dismissed himself. He stopped just before the door and turned back around, "and you wear your braces, the jacket's sleeves should cover them for the most part." Without another word he left. He probably told others to do the same, anyone who has a knife is probably bringing it.

We finished getting dressed and headed out to the common area where everyone else was waiting. The last few people joined us and I could only think that if nothing happens then this team will be overkill.

I looked around making sure everyone was here. Hassam, check. Mikasa and Annie, check. Erwin and Hanji, check. Pixis and Shadis, check. Hitch and Hanna. Where were Sasha and Connie?" I looked around and they were just rounding the corner. For someone with super speed Connie is always late I swear.

"Alright, everyone ready?" I asked.

"Yes."

"Everyone has their knives?" Pixis asked. Everyone nodded. "Okay perfect."

"If something goes wrong, don't be afraid of hurting anyone," Pixis said hesitantly. "We aren't losing any more people today, if taking a life will save yours then do it."

Everyone froze in place myself included. I wasn't expecting that. None of us were. I know we had discussed the idea of killing, but it was so closely tied that we didn't know what to make of it. There was one vote more for killing than for peaceful when Erwin and Mina finally placed their votes.

"We don't want to lose any more people, especially not when we are finally making progress. We want everyone to be able to see this through. See the changes we are able to make. No one will judge you for what you have to do, and it might not even come to that. Hell, nothing at all might happen today, but just in case something does. I want you all to have the option.

We all nodded and took a step back letting what he was saying sink in. I mean I know I was all for it if it was self-defense, even a little bit of revenge, but that was because I was angry. The actual thought of ending another person, I don't know if I could. I hope it doesn't come to that.

I'm sure everyone else was having similar thoughts. Everyone seemed hesitant now. They were all staring at the ground trying to process what they were just given permission to do.

We stood back and Pixis nodded at Erwin. Erwin nodded back and opened the portal. We were going to step through, but there was hesitation in everyone now. I took a deep breath and was the first to walk through.