The Alpha's Daughter - Chapter 26

Start from the beginning

I pushed Zane's door open, only to see hurtle his fist into the plasterboard, blood smearing over the white paint. He turned and faced me, his eyes red. I offered him my arms and he fell into them, his chest crushing into mine. He was crying; hot tears flowing down his face and onto my baggy t-shirt.

"I never asked for this," he sobbed. "Anyone but him."

"It's okay," I murmured. He shook his head and pulled away from me, wiping his face with his thumb and forefinger.

"This is so fucked up," he muttered, sitting down on his bed. "He hates me, Annie." I wrinkled my nose and sat down next to him, trying to put a positive spin on it.

"D'you think I was particularly fond of Cal at first?" I asked, lying back. "I could've killed him."

"But you're..." He moved his hands in some strange gesture and I found myself laughing at him. I was apparently some embarrassing hand dance.

"Look," I whispered, looking him straight in the eye, "Ade's just angry; you've wounded his macho pride. And he's just generally a knob anyway." Zane made an angry face and I giggled again.

"Your face," I gasped, in absolute stitches. He moaned and fell back onto the bed, lying next to me and looking up at the ceiling.

"What am I going to do?" he asked, running his fingers through his hair. I turned to look at him, propping myself up on my elbow.

"You could, I dunno, talk to him?" I suggested. "Because you're going to have to sooner or later. And if you do it sooner, you can stop all of this stupid tiptoeing."

Zane sighed.

"Fine," he mumbled. "But I'm not doing it without any witnesses; if he kills me, I want him arrested."

I didn't bother mentioning the fact that he was immortal and he couldn't technically die, even if Ade tried it. I was just glad that they were going to talk it out; the tension in their heads were beginning to make my brain hurt.

Cal:

"You didn't have to break my nose, you know?" I grumbled, flopping down on the sofa. "I could have said worse." Ade snorted and went back to his armchair, switching off the television. Oh crap. Was he about to try and talk about this? Where the hell was Annie when you needed her? Shit, this was going to be awkward. What was I meant to say?

"Don't say anything," Ade muttered. He was staring through the window, his eyebrows furrowed as he thought. "No doubt Annie's saying enough about me." He didn't say it maliciously, or with any real conviction, which made me wonder what was going to happen next.

"She's just looking out for Zane." I shrugged, trying to get comfy. Without Annie there, it just didn't seem the same. Ade smirked when he heard it, giving me a cocky smile.

"You're so whipped," he said, gazing at me. "All she has to do is click her wee fingers and you come running." He was right, but for once, I didn't seem to mind. It was true; I would have done anything for Annie. But that was the way it was supposed to be. I was supposed to feel this love for her. I couldn't imagine my life without her. How had I managed before I had known of her very existence?

"It could be the same for you," I murmured in a very soft voice. Ade jerked, and I slid back in my seat; I was very keen to avoid another bloody nose. But he just sat there, his face pained and thoughtful.

"I won't be able to have any kids," he breathed, his eyes wide. I could just imagine Annie's voice in my head, telling him that he was a lucky prick and that I should be more like him. I smiled to myself, and then remembered that this was definitely not the time to be feeling smug.