The Alpha's Daughter - Chapter 9

Annie:

To say I was pissed was a bit of an understatement. I stared up at my dad, who was standing with his arms crossed over his chest, a furious expression on his face. I looked at Cal, who looked just as horrified as I did. My stomach felt like it was on fire and, when I ran my fingers over it, I could feel heat coming from it.

"What?" I managed to say. Everyone suddenly looked shifty.

"Mates?" Cal breathed. I would've hit him there and then if I hadn't been in so much pain. Instead, I just scowled and put my hand to my forehead. Of all the things to happen, it just had to be this.

"Of all the fucking werewolves in the world," I grimaced, "and it had to be you who mated with me?" If I had a religion, I would have renounced it because there was no way I had done anything to deserve something like this. After all of my vows never to let myself fall into the same trap as my mother, it had happened, just like that.

"You know what this means," Jase said, his face dark. I whipped around to look at him. No; what did this mean? Why the hell did they have to be so secretive about everything?

"Yes," Cal whispered. I turned back to him and saw that he had closed his eyes.

"What does it mean?" I demanded, putting my hands on my hips. Cal's eyes snapped open and I saw pure pain.

"It means," he sighed, "that you're my responsibility now."

Yeah, I knew that. Cal shot Jase a helpless look.

How am I meant to tell her? he asked pitifully. Jase shrugged. Sierra backed away from me and found her place in his arms. I watched them both; there was no way that me and Cal were ever going to end up like that.

"Those...visions," I said, suddenly remembering. "What were they?" Cal shook his head and looked away. Instead, my dad came down the stairs.

"They were your future," he told me, reaching the floor. "Whatever you saw, were future events that will happen."

I felt like collapsing to the floor and bursting into tears. That was my future? This was fucking terrible. All of my plans seemed to be unravelling before my very eyes. So much for being spontaneous; it was pretty damn hard when you knew what was going to happen.

I had seen a baby in my future.

It wasn't necessarily mine; it could have been Sierra's. Or Macca and Georgie could have had one. There was nothing to suggest that the child had been mine. I was doing my best to try an convince myself that the evidence I had seen was very circumstantial but I was doing really bad job of it.

I ran my fingers through my now very messy hair. It was like a rubbish end to an even crappier night. Mate? He had practically stamped on my heart and squished all of the juice out of it.

"I can't do this," I murmured. I looked over at Cal, who was leaning against the wall. "I can't be your mate, not now."

"You don't really have a choice, Annie," Radleigh said. "Once you two are together, that's it; there's no-one else."

"And why don't I have a choice?" I demanded, sounding like a little kid. "I never wanted this, I didn't ask for you to mate with me."

"Funnily enough, it wasn't exactly what I was aiming for," Cal snapped. "Being your mate? You're the most ungrateful little cow I've ever met."

Ungrateful? Had he taken a look in the mirror? I'd have given him everything and he just took it for granted. I wasn't just going to fall to my feet and announce my undying love for him; it just wasn't going to happen.