fifty-three

Chapter 53

Rebekah

"Tell me a story," Camren says as I pull the covers up around her.

"You need to go to bed, you start school tomorrow, sweetie." I say sitting down on the edge of her bed.

"Please?" She begs and puts on what she calls her puppy face.

"Alright fine," I give in, "But you're going to be as soon as I'm done."

She nods with a smile on her face. "Once upon a time there lived a royal family. This family of royalty was a big family. Not only were they big but they were broken, in more ways than you can imagine. The oldest boy didn't feel like we was good enough for his mother and father had five kids after they had him and being the oldest he was blamed for practically everything his siblings did. The second oldest, took the place of the oldest brother feeling he could portray that role better, which he did. He became a role model for every sibling. He was noble and loyal. But just like the entire family he too was broken. He put his guard up and wouldn't let anyone break it down until one girl did. And when she did he fell for her. But there's a saying, when you care for someone hurt comes with the package and that it did. An accident happened with the love of his life and he lost her causing him never to be the same for him. For the third son, I'll come back to him because he was probably the most broken of all. As for the fourth son, he felt as if no one in the family understood him, he felt like he was an outcast in his own family which caused him to stray apart from them when really that's all he needed; he needed his family but they weren't there for him. For the very last son, he was a joy, he was the happiest. How was he broken? He was killed when his life had just started."

"As for the only daughter, in her younger years she loved her family. She'd look up to her brothers and fit right in with them. As she grew older and older she saw what kind of family she really had and didn't think she could ever raise one of her own because she was afraid that the family she wanted to have would end up like the one she grew up with. She grew up not being able to love because just like her brother she would lose her lovers too. Going back to the third son, the one who was the most broken, he had a reason to be. The mother had been not very loyal towards her lover. She had an affair with her lover's best friend. The mother's lover did not know that the child was not his own blood until the child's real father came looking for the mother. And when he found out that the child he believed was his own wasn't he never treated him the same."

"He was beaten by his father and all the son wanted was for his father to accept him. His siblings of course hated to see their brother treated like this but if they did anything their father would turn on him too. As years went by the siblings they ran away from their parents. But the father grew angry because he didn't have someone to yell at. He hunted the siblings down when they were at their happiest times. And as the father ruined the city they learned to call home he also broke the siblings more inside by not only killing the city but he killed the youngest son and the daughter's true lover. As he threatened to kill the rest of the siblings if the one who wasn't rightfully the father's blood, the son gave himself over. He gave himself over so the siblings could try to live normal lives but that never did happen." I look down at Camren and saw she was asleep. I wonder if she even heard a minute of the story.

"Why the hell would you tell a little girl a bed time story like that?" A too familiar voice says. I look towards the door to see Dalia.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I ask standing up but not moving away from Camren who is still asleep.