one; idiotic detectives

One 

[ Idiotic Detectives ]

Human beings, we have dark sides; we have dark issues in our lives. To progress anywhere in life, you have to face your demons.❞ -John Noble

    ●●●  

Cat

"He has brown hair; it was pulled back and his hair was curly. He had long, dark lashes that framed his green eyes. His lips were plump and light pink." Annabelle explained to the sketch artist. 

The sketch artist guided the pencil on the blank sheet of sketching paper as Annabelle gave detail of the serial killer. After about twenty minutes he had finished sketch and given it to me to take back to the office. We have to take Annabelle back to the office also to ask more questions. 

My eyes wandered around the area. I can't help but feel like we are missing something. 

"Cat, ready to go back?" Jake asked. Jake is one of my co-workers. He and I are close; he's really one of my closest friends.

"Um, I'm just going to stay behind for a bit." I smiled at Jake. He nodded. 

"Oh Jake," I called before he walked away, "Here's the sketch of the killer." He nodded and took the paper. He walked to one of the vans and got in. 

I walked back to the spot where the 3 dead girls used to lay. Their bodies had been taken in for inspection of any evidence. I walked further away from the spot down the path. We were getting into a more woodsy area of the park. I kept walking until I spotted something in the corner of my eye: a piece of folded paper laid against a tree trunk. There was something different about this piece of paper. It wasn't just a piece of trash that someone had thrown on the floor. It looked like it was a clue. 

I walked onto the green grass making my way to the tree. I bent down picking up the folded paper. I unfolded it so it was now in its full length. 

You want to find me huh? Follow the footprints then you'll find me.

I read the note over and over. Examining the paper, hand writing, and sentence fluency. 

'Follow the footprints then you'll find me.' 

Footprints. Where?

I folded the paper back up looking around at my surroundings. In front of me were footprints leading deeper into the forest. I started following the footprints but then stopped. I questioned whether or not I should continue going into the woods. It could be a trap and I'll be killed and no one would know where I am. Although, I could out smart this killer and catch him. 

I made sure I had my hand gun and my mini flashlight stuffed in my belt around my waist. I also checked to make sure I had my phone in my back pocket. 

I proceeded following the footprints in the mud. I got further and further. The mud was getting wet and thicker as I walked further. 

The footprints then stopped. I felt my brows knit together in confusion. A sound of twigs breaking made me pull out my gun. 

"Who's there?" I asked. I tried to make my voice sound as confident and calm as possible but I was quite terrified. I'm alone in a forest with no backup, just a gun. I have no idea who I am dealing with.

A heinous laugh came out from the woods. "Who do you think?"  Talk about a rhetorical question. 

"The killer," I replied simply.