seven

"Getting to know someone involves curiosity about where they have come from, who they are." 

Penelope Lively

Chapter 7

I slipped on my skinny jeans, white oversize t-shirt and black boots. The events that happened last night kept folding back to my mind. I felt so guilty but at the same time I feel angry. He looked threw my journal. I'm the only one who knew about that journal until now. I don't want to know what he thinks of me knowing what happened with my sister. He might be like the rest and not believe me, call me a murderer. 

Then again I did kick him out of my apartment when he didn't have anywhere to go because his house is been watched by Caleb; he just watched his girlfriend get beat up by Caleb, and just a few hours before I saw him break down in front of me. 

Annabelle came over to my apartment about an hour after things happened between Harry and I. She wanted to know if I was ok. I think it was more Harry's idea of having her come over to see how I was feeling then it was hers. I was honest with her when she asked though. I told he that I was angry with him but I couldn't help but feel bad. 

She told me she understands and it wasn't right for him to hit me and read my personal things but it also wasn't right for me to slap him knowing how angry he gets. She was right. I saw him attack one of Caleb's guys. I saw what he can do, yet I still made him angry. 

She also informed me that I was allowed to go back to work but I have to keep in touch with them throughout the day in case I found out anything of where the girls are and just anything about Caleb. She told me I need to be careful and not expose anything about us; if I do we are most likely all dead. 

Meetings will also be held at my apartment since everyone else found microphones in their apartment also. Caleb is a smart and evil thinker. I'm kind of worried something bad is going to happen and I'm not looking forward for it. I feel like he is always going to be fifteen steps ahead of us. 

I grabbed my bag and put my coat on before exiting my apartment. I shut my door making sure I locked it behind me. I made my way out of the building and to my car. I got in starting it up and driving to work. The drive was quick because there wasn't much traffic since I left early. 

I walked into the building being greeted by people speed walking, taps from keyboards and faint talking. I made my way over to my office cube, sitting in my chair. Jake, who sits in front of me looked away from his computer when he saw me sit down. 

"Hey." He said. 

"Hi." I smiled and logged into my computer. 

"How come you didn't come back in yesterday?" He asked. 

Shit, I totally forgot I had told Jake I would be coming back when we were at the crime scene. 

"I wasn't feeling well so I went home." I lied. I hopped he believed me.

He nodded before turning his attention back to his computer. I hate lying; especially to one of my closest friends. 

"Detective Miller, may I speak to you?" Ms. Hilten called. She was standing outside her office with her arms folded. She looks mad. This isn't good. 

Ms. Hilten was my boss. The boss of everyone who works in this office building really. She was mean and demanding most of the time. Rarely do you ever see her smile. She didn't like it when you call her Ms. Hilten or Detective Hilten. She preferred just to be called Ma'am. I think it's because she didn't want to be called like the people who work for her are called.