twenty-eight

Chapter 28

"Hello Cat," Alex says.

"You leave them alone Alex, don't you dare hurt them." I feel tears building in my eyes.

"Well, you and Harry have killed anyone ever important to me so why not do it to you too? It only seems fair." He says.

"No, please don't hurt them. They have no part of this." I say about to break down.

"And my son had no part of this either, yet he's dead."

"Look I'm sorry about your son but please don't take it out on my parents." I say.

"Let me think about that," He says then after a moment speaks. "You shouldn't have killed Jake and half of my men. So, say goodbye to your family darling."

"No!" I scream and the line goes dead.

I wake up painting and sweating. I hear fast footsteps come to my room and the door swings open.

"Caleb I don't want to relive it again! I don't want to feel this pain!" I yell starting to cry. "Why am I crying? I'm sick of crying.'' I say whipping my tears as they roll down my cheeks, "I just want them back. I just want to say hello to them, I just want to hear their voice, I just want a chance to say goodbye to them. I just want to say I love them!"

Caleb walks, over to me and sits on the edge of my bed, "I wish I could do that to my mother too," He says, "I watched my father kill her. And instead of all this pain you're feeling, all I felt was rage towards my father. It wasn't right."

"I'd rather feel rage then to have this pain!" I say running my hand through my hair.

"Trust me, you don't want to feel that rage, it shuts you down, and all you can think about are ways to torture that person. It's not right in the mind."

"But it just hurts too much." I say shaking my head.

"But you'll be okay." Caleb says.

"No, I'm not! I've lost too many important people in my life! First Shailene my younger sister, then Jake my friend, then Charlie, my best friend, and my mom and dad! It will never be okay!" I scream and tears just keep falling.

Just like Harry said, in the beginning the feeling is bad, and then it fades off for a while. Then it crawls you're way back under your skin and doesn't go away.

"You think that but this is just a breaking point in your life that you'll overcome. Like you did with Shailene's death I assume."

"But I never did overcome her death." I say.

"You weren't like this 24/7 were you?"

"In the beginning but then I stopped because I needed to be a role model for her even if she is dead. So I sucked it up and got over myself."

"Are you being a strong role model for your sister now?"

"No."

"This is just a bump in the rode for you Cat. You'll be okay even if you think you won't." He tells me, "Get some sleep, we have to leave in a couple of hours."

He gets up and exits my room.

I think the person I miss the most is Charlie. Sure, I miss mom and dad a lot but Charlie and I had a special bond no other two people could share.

He was my best friend and my brother. He was the jock that was over protective of his sister at school. The Jock with a heart as people would call him. He was the nicest person you could ever meet. He cared about school, sports, family. He was the best brother anyone could have. Now all I can do is regret not trying to get his forgiveness sooner.