twenty-one

Chapter 21

H A R R Y 

I looked over at Cat who was leaning against the car door, asleep. I've been driving for seven hours now and we aren't even half way there. We’re in Maryland now and everything seems to be completely empty and vacant. There are no cars on the highway what so ever and there are no lights on in the buildings and houses we drive past. But it is two in the morning and that could explain why it feels like a ghost town. 

Cat had fallen asleep an hour ago and said to wake her up when we stopped at a motel. I felt kind of bad that I knew we weren't stopping at a motel; we would only stop to get something to eat. My eyes were starting to get heavy so I decided to go to the next fast food drive in for coffee. I would enter the next town within twenty minutes so in the mean time I entertain myself with the quiet music playing. 

I make the next exit that led to the small town; I passed a sign saying there was a Wendy’s. I remember Niall getting a coffee from Wendy's once he said it tasted like shit but I need to stay awake. I drive around the small vacant down looking for the Wendy's. When I spot it I drive through the drive through. 

"Would you like anything else?" The lady over the motor spoke. 

I looked over at Cat seeing if she was awake which she was surprisingly. "Cat do you want anything?" 

"Frosty please." She said. I smiled and told the lady over the motor. She told me the price and said to pull up to the second window. I did, when the window opened a girl handed me the coffee and the Frosty. I paid and thanked her. 

She said have a nice day and I drove off. 

"Frosty at two in the morning huh?" I asked looking over at Cat who was peacefully eating her frosty. 

"It's never too late to have a Frosty." She said which made me chuckle. 

"Wait, Harry aren't you tired?" She asked. 

"No, not really." I lied. 

"Right, that’s why you got a coffee from Wendy's," She said, "I can drive if you’re tired. You just need to tell me where we're going." 

"Nice try." I smirked. 

"Seriously Harry do you need me to drive?" She asked. 

"No I'm fine. Just eat your frosty." I said. 

She didn't say anything she just continued eating her chocolate ice cream.

"You better not spill that in my car." I warned her. 

"And you better not spill your own coffee in your own car." Cat said. 

I smiled and headed back to the highway. "Why don't you tell me about your home and family you know before what happened to you sister." 

I felt her look at me before she talked, "We were happy. We live in a huge house; mom and dad would be at work all the time though. It was just Charlie, me and the baby. Charlie and I were like best friends. He'd tell me everything and I'd tell him everything. He told me he wanted to join the military. I wasn't sure what to say or if I was happy or sad. He said he was nervous to tell mom and dad. Of course I was proud of him for wanting to join but at the same time all I can think about was the bad things that might happen to him. One of my old friends father was in the army and they lived in constant fear whenever the phone rang and it was about their dad. I just didn't want to know what that felt like. I honestly didn't want him to go, he would be missing out on Shai's life if he went, and I wouldn't have my big brother to look out for me. I was scared for him. One night he said he was ready to tell mom and dad and he would do it at dinner. You could tell they weren't okay with the idea. The tension in the air was horrible. It seriously looked like mom and dad had seen a ghost. Charlie convinced them and they finally said it was ok but from their expressions you could tell they still weren't sure about the idea."