forty-six

Chapter 46

Sammy

“Jo?” I call walking through the door. The front door was cracked open which concerned me.

“Camren? Stefan?” I call when Jo didn’t answer.

The house was completely silent which was odd because when I come home from work the kids greet me or are running around the house screaming. And usually I smell Jo’s delicious cooking but there’s no smell.

 I look at the fridge to see if there was a note saying where they were but there was nothing. I finally decide to go upstairs to see if they were in their rooms. I checked the kids’ room but they weren’t in there. What had me anxious was seeing my bedroom door cracked open like the front door was; in our house all of the doors stay completely shut.

I opened the door slowly worried about what would be behind it. I feel a pang in my heart when I see my kids and my wife. They were all in the walk in closet. Only Stefan was hung from the ceiling with Jo’s scarfs tied in knots making a rope. Jo’s hands were tied behind her back, her feet were tied and there was a piece of duct tape across her mouth. Her face was covered with bruises and blood streamed down her face from the gash on her hairline. There were cuts all along her arms, neck, hands and legs. I almost thought she was dead with her eyes closed but she breathed. Camren was spiraled out on the floor unconscious. There was not a single bruise or cut on her body like there was on Stefan and Jo. I ran over to Jo and took the tape off her mouth.

The pinch from the stickiness bringing ripped off from her skin brought her too but when I looked pasted the blue, black, purple and red colors on her face she looked like a ghost; a ghost that’s on its way back to the graveyard.

“J-Jo who did this to you?” I ask fighting back tears.

“C-Cat kn-knows,” Jo struggles to speak.

“What happened?”

“When I came home I heard screaming from Stefan and Camren. The girl that we hired to watch the kids did this. She poisoned Camren and that’s why she’s unconscious but I don’t know what happened to Stefan he was like that when I got up here. I tried fighting her she bashed me in the head and I blacked out,” Her voice was so weak I could barely understand.

“Sammy we never really talked about something like this,”

“Like what?” I ask and tears formed in my eyes.

“What would happen if one of us was gone.”

“Jo don’t you dare talk like that.” Trying to hold in my tears was too much for me and I began to cry.

“Sammy you know I’m not going to make it even if you do call the police, but Sammy listen to me.” She says forcing her voice to be a little louder. I could tell it hurt her.

“You are going to take Camren out of here okay? You are going to raise her to be a beautiful and strong girl. And when she asks what happened to Mommy or if she forgets who Mommy was you tell her about me. You tell her everything you thought about me. You tell her about her older  brother. You tell her these things because after this I don’t believe she’ll have any good memories of us if you don’t. As for you, my Sammy, I love you. I loved you from the very first moment I saw you. But you are going to move on okay? Promise me that? You are going to find Camren a new and better mom and you are going to find yourself a new and better person in your life.” She says.