twenty-two

Chapter 22

C A T 

I sit on the couch that faces the garage door and wait for it to open. It was past six, my parents should walk through that door any minute now. When it does my stomach turns into knots. They haven't seen me yet since mom had to put her brief case down by the laundry room and dad had to hang up his coat. Dad turned around first, when he laid eyes on Harry and I, he froze. 

"Charlie what's for dinner?" Mom called from the Landry room, her voice sounded as if she was coming closer. She turned the corner and looked at us. 

"Hi," I say quietly. 

"What- How- Who-Why?" My dad stuttered at his words. 

"What are you doing here? How are you here? Why are you here? And who the hell are you?" Mom spoke for him.

"She came back here to see you guys, I drove here, once again she wanted to see you guys, and I'm Harry, her friend." Harry spoke for me. 

They completely ignored Harry and turned to Charlie, "Charlie you knew about her being here and you didn't call us?" 

"If I did you wouldn't come home would you?" Charlie shot back. Mom and Dad just looked down which meant yes. Knowing they wouldn't come back home because I was here, hurt. It hurt a lot. 

"I shouldn't have took you back here." Harry said quietly to me. 

"Its fine, I would've had to face them someday." I say. 

"Do I have to remind you she's your daughter?" Charlie continued. 

"I would've had two if it wasn't for her." Dad said. 

"What if you didn't have any? What if both of them died in that car crash? Would you still blame Cat?" Charlie yelled which made the room silent. I looked to my parents to see if they would answer. Charlie made a point that I never thought of. 

"Why are you sticking up for her? You hated her just as much as we did!" Mom changed the subject. 

"She's my sister! And I finally woke up out of my little haze and realized it wasn't her to killed Shailene! It was the drunk driver! It's messed up that I finally realized it before her own parents!" Charlie yelled. 

"Charlie it’s okay if they hate me, I'm just lucky you forgave me." I say turning to Charlie. I didn't want to cause a fight between everyone. 

"No, Cat this isn't right. Our parents think that you killed Shailene. Our Parents think you're a murder. It's not okay Cat. It's never going to be okay. I know you Cat; you don't let anyone know how you're actually feeling. You convince everyone that it's fine or you're fine when it's not and you're not fine. So be honest with me; do you really think this is okay?" Charlie says. 

I find myself lying to him for a reason, "Yes Charlie, I've learned how to deal with it." 

"Cat look at me." Harry speaks and I look at him. "Do you really think this is okay?" He repeats Charlie's question. 

I was about to lie again and tell him the same thing I told Charlie but I couldn't.  I couldn't lie to Harry which was weird; I could lie to my brother but not him. Maybe it was because of Charlie's betrayal towards about my sister that I lost a bit of trust towards him. With Harry, I've grown to know him. I know that he will protect me and he's showed me that he trusts me as long as I trust him. Which I do.