forty-nine (part two)

Chapter 49 (Part 2)

The next day

Cat

I see Harry playing cards with the man covered in tattoos and walk over there. The prison has provided us with jackets considering the weather outside isn't actually at its best today.

"Call," Harry says.

The tattooed man laughs holding up his deck of cars, "Three aces." The tattooed man picks up the pile of cigarettes in the middle of the table, while Harry looks taken back.

"And you said you win every time," The tattoo man chuckles again. I look over at Harry deck over cards and feel my eyebrows knit together.

"But see, I'm full," Harry says holding up his cards to the man, "Three's over aces."

The tattooed man drops the cigarettes, slams his fist down on the table and stands up angrily. Which makes Harry chuckle, "Sorry, man but it's a cruel game." The man throws his cards on the table and storms off.

I sit across from Harry and Harry gathers all the cigarettes up in a big pile. "It's like picking fruit from the lowest tree," Harry says with a grin on his face.

I smile shaking my head, "Harry you don't even smoke."

"Cat you're joking right? These are the currency of the realm."

I roll my eyes jokingly, "Anyways, I think I got a lead from talking to Lela."

"Me too, the killer paid a visit last night."

"What happened?"

"She killed Lucas - slit his throat."

"But it's not Lela Harry. I think she's innocent. I don't know how to-"

"She is innocent. I knew it from the start."

"Then why the hell did you tell me to get information with her and become friends with her?"

"So you could see that there are innocent people in this place. She told you why she was locked in here didn't she?"

"Yeah," I say, "But what else did you see?"

"I didn't see any of what happened. Whoever killed Lucas, Anna, and Nick works here though. She's a guard and has keys to the cells which explains how she got into their cells."

"Well there are about fifty female guards Harry."

"True but there has to be a reason why whoever this killer is, killed Lucas, Anna, and Nick."

"Well you told me yesterday that Nick and Anna both robbed a store or bank and ended up killing someone. Lucas could've done that too."

How are we going to find out?"

"The man with all the tattoos. He was one of Lucas' friends."

"He never told anyone why he was put in here. Trust me Cat I've been asking all morning."

I sat there thinking of a plan to find out why he was put in here and Harry does the same. But I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn to the person who tapped my shoulder and it was a guard.

"You have a visitor, Cat. And he's requested to speak with you too Harry" Officer Warden speaks.

Harry and I both get up and follow Warden into the visiting room. He takes us to a table where my brother sits. "Ms. Miller, you get one hug hello and one hug goodbye nothing else but talking okay? And Mr. Styles I'm only allowing you to talk."

The both of us nod and head over to the table where Sammy sits. He stands up and engulfs me into a hug. "I missed you."

"I've been gone for one day Sammy." I say sitting down.