twelve

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way."

Mark Twain 

Chapter 12

"Why are you asking all of these questions about tracking phones?" Mark asked. You can call Mark the tracker on our team I guess. He tracks down all the information that we need with cellphones, e-mails, security camera, etc. 

I tried my best to come up with a believable lie, "Umm, because I want to know more about this." 

"Why? So you can get promoted and take my job?" Mark mumbled. I assumed he didn’t think I heard. Ever since Ms. Hilten called me in a couple days ago, everyone at work has been treating me differently. I'm not enjoying work anymore like I used too. They're treating me like a whole different person and I hate it. All I look forward to now is going back to the warehouse seeing Harry, the boys and Annabelle. 

"Wow." I said under my breath before walking away back to my desk. 

"Tough day?" Jake asked. 

"They are acting like I'm a whole new person because I didn't get fired. I don't get it. Did you guys want me to get fried because I’m good at something?" 

"No, I just think there all jealous of you. I mean who wouldn't be?" He smirked.

"Thanks Jake." I smiled. Jake went back to typing this computer, most likely working on a test he is on. 

"You want to know how to track burner phones now?" Jake said, still typing at the keyboard and looking at his computer screen. 

"Yes. Do you know how?" I asked. 

"Yes, actually I do." He said. 

"Can you show me how?" 

"You can stop by my place at 7. Or I could pick you up if that’s better."

"Are you asking me out on a date?" I asked. 

"See, you are smart." He said finally looking at me with a smirk on his face. I have to say he was quite handsome. He had dark hair that was swept across his forehead. Dark eyelashes framed his bright baby blue eyes. He also had a strong jaw line that I always liked to look at when he talks or clenches his jaw. His pink, plump lips were also quite nice to look at. 

"Fine, I'll go but I'll just meet you at your place. You don't need to pick me up." 

"Far enough." He says and goes back to his computer, as so do I. 

I spent the rest of the day looking at people in Boston who names are Caleb. There's more then you expect. I went through at least 500 background profiles of people with names of Caleb. None of them matched the Caleb I needed. After work, I decided to stop by Ms. Hilten and ask her to give someone my case where Harry is the killer; which he isn't. He's the good guy in this whole situation. She gave me a new case which seemed simpler.  Two guys were shot in the exact same places; the neck and back. There were footprints of blood walking away from the crime scene but it just stopped. The dead guys are twins. It was honestly quite creepy; identical twins with the same shot wounds.

I'm having Mary examine the bodies tomorrow to see what type of gun they were shot with and what time they died. I'm going to have Erick go back and look at security cameras after I get the time they were killed and see if there was anyone around the killing scene at that time. 

After I left the crime scene I realized I worked overtime. I began walking to my car from the car sceene seeing there was nothing else I could investigate until tomorrow. I checked my phone while walking to my car and there were two missed calls from Harry. I immediately called him back.