eleven

"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity."

Hunter S. Thompson

Chapter 11

"Oh, Harry I need to get my car from my apartment. Drive me to it?" I asked. Louis, Annabelle, Niall, Zayn, Liam and Harry looked like they were in the middle of something important. "Oh sorry, I interrupted something." I said. 

"No its fine. I'll take you." Harry said. 

"Are you sure? I can wait." I say. 

"No, let's go." He said. He looked mad at something. 

I followed him out to his car. He drove and I got shotgun. "Harry what’s wrong?" I asked after a moment. 

"What do you mean?" Harry asked his eyes still on the road. 

"You’re mad at something?" It sounded more like a question when I said it. 

"Well, when a guy kidnaps your girlfriend and friends I think you would be pretty mad." He said sarcastically. 

I rolled my eyes and slightly laughed then said, "Harry I'm being serious. Is there something going on?" 

"Well Louis got a phone call from Caleb-" He was going to continue but I interrupted him. 

"A phone call? We can track it down." I said. 

"Hold on, I'm getting to that. The phone was burner phone. Louis can't figure out how to track it down." Harry explained. 

"My team knows how to track it down. Unless he already threw it away then we can't do anything. I don’t think we can anyway." 

"Alright try and figure out how and then he can show Louis." He said. 

"What did Caleb say in the call?" I asked. 

"He said, 'To bathe a cat takes brute force, perseverance, courage of conviction - and a cat. The last ingredient is usually hardest to come by.'." 

To bathe a cat takes brute force, perseverance, courage of conviction - and a cat. The last ingredient is usually hardest to come by. 

The last sentence sent shivers down my spine. The last ingredient is usually the hardest to come by. The last thing he said in the list was 'and a cat'. 

"Why is he referring to Stephen Baker? That's a quote from him." 

"I don't know but break down the quote." He said. So I did. This comes easy for me; breaking down things. That's what you do as a homicide detective. Breaking down the clues to solve the mystery. 

When he is talking about a cat I assume he's talking about me. He wouldn’t necessarily bathe me so I assume he means to catch me. 

So the first sentence would be to catch a Cat it takes brute force, perseverance and courage of conviction. 

Brute means a brutal, insensitive, or crude person. The brutal person is Caleb. 

Force means strength or power exert upon an object; physical coercion; violence. In this case I'm the object. 

Perseverance means to steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a stat, etc., especially in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement. So he has to go through obstacles to try and catch me. 

Courage of conviction is a idiom. It means if you have the courage of your convictions, you are brave enough to do what you feel is right, despite and pressure for you to do something different. I'm not sure if that applies to Caleb or me. It may apply more to Caleb about trying to catch me maybe kill me. Maybe he knows that killing me isn't the right decision but he is to focused on trying to get Harry back with him that he'll do anything; Even if that means killing me.