sixty

Chapter 60

I look in the mirror before applying my makeup. In the mirror I don't see myself. I see a wreck, I see a disaster. My stare goes from my eyes to my neck. Across my neck and a red line from what happened five months ago. The scar will be there for years, Caleb told me, possibly my entire life. He said that I could choose to cover it or wear it proud when I'm ready.

But how can I wear it proud when no one is supposed to know who I am, when I practically faked death. In that moment when I was saying goodbye to everyone, I was ready to die. I was ready to let it all go. But instead I'm stuck here under a fake identity, not allowed to speak to the boys; to the person I love, to my friends, anyone from my past life besides Caleb, Rebekah, Elijah and Camren.

I take a deep breath before applying a little concealer and powder around the scar covering it. There was a knock on the door.

"Yes?" I say and the door opens. From the mirror Rebekah stands at the door frame.

"You know you don't have to cover that up. If I had it-"

"What do you want Rebekah?" I ask, I don't know how many times they have to say to wear it proud to me.

"You have a job interview with the magazine editor job you applied for? They called a few minutes ago, saying that the boss wanted to meet with you at the coffee shop downtown at three this afternoon. I told her you'd think about it and give her a call back."

"Yeah I'll do it." I say and start putting my makeup away.

"Okay but you know the rules. You have to use Madeline Andrews as your name. You have to wear your blue contacts. I can help you with your wig if you want and if you run into Harry, Niall, Liam, Zayn, Louis or Lela you avoid them."

"What one of you three aren't going with me or did you finally remember I'm twenty-five?" I ask sarcastically.

"Do you want help with your wig or not?" She asks with an annoyed tone.

I sigh, "Yes, please."

I sit down and she walks over behind the chair I was in grabbing the bald cap off of the first wig head stand. She pulls my hair back and places the almost rubber like fabric on to my head. It's tight and I'm not used to it considering I have only been out once since the five months which also means I have only worn the wig once. After every piece of my hair is inside of the cap, she takes the wig glue and she applies it close to my hair line. She then takes the blonde wig and places it on my head. This wig is the most realistic looking wig I have ever seen. When I asked Caleb how much it was he told me it didn't matter which means a lot. I feel bad for making them go to this extent of wanting me to stay hidden. She gets the wig situated so it will stay on and it looks real before saying that she was done. I looked down at the blue contacts box and put them in. Rebekah had now left leaving me to look in the mirror by myself again. Looking in the mirror, I hated myself even more. It wasn't me; I didn't want to be this person, Madeline Andrews for I was Cat Mikaelson.

I grab the keys off of my dresser and walk out of the house to my blue car. Of course the car wasn't really mine, it was Caleb's but he said that I could use it until I get back on my feet from what happened.

I park the car on the curb which was only around twenty feet away from the coffee shop. Before walking in I look at the time on my car seeing that I was a little early so I decide that I would stay in the car until it would be ten minutes till three.

I watch the people who walk the streets; all I can think about is what a normal life would be like with Harry. All I can do is see his features in someone. A man would walk by and I would see Harry's nose instead of his. Another would walk by and I could Harry's eyes. When someone would walk past, I could see the way that Harry walked instead.