Memory lane

Time had started to drag on and for whatever reason, we had switched topics and my parents death was being questioned. I was doing okay for the most part. "Did you wanna tell me what happened?" Tamara asks gently. I look over at Bekah, she has a sad smile on her face. "We were going on a family trip up to our cottage in Kirkland. I loved it up there, I miss it. My friends when I was real little used to think such a small town with so little people couldn't be anything fun but it was. And it was beautiful. A home away from home," I smile.

"I was fourteen when they passed. Ace, my brother was a year older. We had a great relationship back then, we were very close." I can't help but frown. I miss my brother.
"It was my twelfth birthday when I was able to shift. Ace had gotten me a beautiful, bright white necklace shaped as a single snowflake, as a birthday gift. He told me he had saved up two months worth of allowance so he could get it. He knew how much I loved winter." I say, a rather sad laugh escaping me.

"He had placed it on my neck that year and I had worn it ever since.
The year our parents passed, on the car ride up to the cottage, I felt off. I had tried to sleep, to make the feeling pass and luckily enough I was able to.
When I woke up we were just pulling in and I didn't feel like myself, something was missing. I felt warm, too warm. And then I realized I wasn't wearing my necklace." I explain.
I touch my neck instinctively, knowing the lock on my neck that Elijah had given me, was not the necklace I truly wanted to be wearing.

"The only other time I had felt like that was when I had forgotten to place my necklace back on one night after a shower. That's why I wasn't wearing it that night either, I had forgotten yet again to put it back on." I frown, meeting the eyes of my supportive friends.

"My family and I won't forget that night easily. If I couldn't bare that one night, I wouldn't last a weekend without it." I tell them, explaining in the strongest voice I could, what had happened:

"Daddy please, we have to go back. It's important to me." I beg, tugging on the sleeve of his T-shirt from behind him in the back seat. Ace smiles at me. "Can you really not last a night without your necklace?" He asks and I frown. "I'm not myself without it. You've seen what happens to me, it scary," I tell him in a sad voice before I turn away, seeing Ace frown. Daddy gets out of the car and I follow him. He goes to unpack some of the trunk and I run to moment on the other side of the car. "Can we please go get my necklace? I can't be me without it. I want to have a good weekend too," I frown. My mom holds me close and kisses the top of my head. She remembers that one night too. "Alright, we'll drive back. We want you to enjoy your weekend love but most of all we just want you safe." I smile, "Thank you!" I hug her tightly, a cold shiver running down my spine and rush to hug my daddy too. He has just slammed the trunk closed.
They both climb into the car with and I'm just about to run off to meet them when Ace pulls me back and looks down at me smiling.
"Your necklace means so much to you." He says and I smile up at him. "It's a part of me," I tell him and he laughs. "Just be safe, alright?"
I peck his cheek. "You're sure you don't wanna come with us?" He shakes his head holding up his duffel bag. "I'm good. It's not too long of a drive back, I'll see you soon." He smiles and I laugh, knowing he's got some gaming system in bag or something. I shrug and mumble a okay.
I walk toward the car and he follows behind me, pecking moms cheek through the car window before give me one too. "We love you, bye hun. See you soon!" Mom shouts to him. "I love you too!" He shouts back and walks up and into the cottage doorsBuckle up, sweetie." My dad turns  to face me from his seat. I buckle it with a click and smile at him. "We're good to go!" I laugh. Daddy starts the car and I smile. I'll have my necklace in just over an hour. We drive through the dirt roads of the cottage community and I look at the beautiful lake around us. This will be a good weekend. The weather wasn't all that warm and we new swimming might be outta the question but we might be able to tubing, that would be fun!
I yawn and my eyes start to sting. "Get some sleep, hun." My mom turns to say to me and I smile, closing my eyes, I fall asleep again. When I wake up, the dirt road is gone and we're on the main road now, maybe 30 minutes away from home.
I watch out the window, all the leaves were falling, end of fall weather. Snow would be coming soon, I almost forgot!
I wiggle in my seat at the thought. "Careful hunny." My dad scolds me and I laugh. "Sorry." I apologize with a smile. He meets my smile in the little mirror and there's a loud honking horn that doesn't stop.
The car is flipping and I hear my daddy scream "Hold in!" and suddenly there's a splash. All I can see is rock and the back windshield of the car. I am upside down in my seat with my seatbelt holding me up. Water is at the bottom of the car, the roof of the car.. I start to cry, I'm so confused. "Mom... daddy..." I whisper and I start to feel cold, my hands burn and I can hear my heart beat. I tug at my seat belt but it's stuck between something. Water is filling more at the bottom and I start to fight in my seat. I tug hard but my seat belt won't move. I wiggle enough that I turn a little and all I see my parents at the bottom of the car, just laying on the windshield in water. I scream and fight some more in my seat and my head hurts... and I just can't see.

********Ending of memory********

"And that's all I remember from that night. I woke up in the hospital in town a few days later. Our car got hit by a drunk drive in a huge ass truck. The care was knocked into a near by lake, wedged between a bunch of rocks. I was told within a few minutes of being awake that both my parents had in fact died and their bodies were found where I remembered them to be. "If I could have just gotten my seatbelt to unlock, maybe I could have..." I sigh not finishing.  I could have saved them.
If I had gotten them out, they would have healed instantly. Instead it was only me who was found alive. Only. Me. "It was my fault... I wanted my necklace, I needed it. I really wasn't me without out it. I had lost it that night in the crash along with so much more." I state, touching my neck on instinct again.
This was getting too heated for a mall conversation. But I continue anyway, finding some comfort in talking. "I had asked the doctors where my brother was but they all told me they hadn't seen him. It wasn't until a couple days after I woke up that I need to be released from the hospital so he came to pick me up." I frown, "He made it clear on the car ride home that my wanting to get that necklace was ridiculous and he blames me for our parents death. He believes I killed and at the time, I did too."
I didn't tell them, but part of me still feels like I am to blame. And I'm not sure if that will ever pass.
There is silence around us until Joel says  "You never told us that story before." "I know. I guess I just figured I had another chance I'm life when I met you lot, I didn't want to bring in my problems so I put a block on the memory. It's hard to move forward when you loose the people who raise. I miss them and I also miss my brother. It just wasn't worth it to mention it all." I admit and take a cold sip of diet coke. Tamara is looking sad, holding onto Joel. I smile at her, Cliff, Rebekah and Joel, letting them know I was fine. We continue talking for a while, random niss, random nats and thankfully nothing depressing or angry.
The moods were being brought up again. And I finish my Diet Coke as we chat away.

________________________________________________

New chapter up!!! Lemme know whatcha think! :3

Ace used to be so sweet... a necklace and now look at him? :(

Atleast she has her new family now right?!! :)<3

Please!!

COMMENT

VOTE AND FAN!!! <3<3<3

LOVE YOU ALL!! :D

Brooke<333