Chapter 93

That night, Azrail couldn't sleep for some reason. It wasn't because he was sleeping on the floor, it was because he felt that something was wrong, he just couldn't figure out why. Athena seemed to ha asleep, so he didn't want to bother her.

A few more minutes later, he was feeling a little more drowsy, so he closes his eyes.

But suddenly, he hears a sniff. And another, and another.

He came to the conclusion that Athena was crying.

"Are you okay?"

"I-I'm okay...t-thank you." She stutters.

"You're not. It's obvious. Come on, you're a bad liar, I can see that you're upset. But why?"

"F-Flashbacks and d-dreams...bother me every n-night..." Athena replies.

"What are they about?" He asks, already getting curios.

"They're about d-dad. I miss him...we were so close...and he left when I was only 6...why?"

"I can't answer that, Athena..."

"And that night..."

He was very startled with her answer, and all the memories came flooding back to him. The event that triggered her trust issues.

"How are you so brave?" She asks him.

"Me? Brave? No."

"But you are...I can barely do anything without you. Every time someone else talks to me, I become a stuttering mess. I always think that everyone is gonna betray me, and that I should avoid others. But this...doesn't apply to you, Azrail. I feel so safe when I'm around you, as if it's unnatural." She says, making Azrail blush.

"He was a nice person. Although he was idiotic sometimes, we still over him, and his jokes really entertained Mom and I. He was bad at cooking, but that was okay. He taught me many things, how to use a sword, and many others. I would give anything to see him again, but following dreams like the one that happened that night would be really dangerous. I ignore them, every night, because I'm afraid. But when Kai...tells me bad things about Dad, it just makes me so sad, and angry. He isn't like that, he isn't like that at all. If only he knew...what a wonderful person he was..." Athena adds, while Azrail just listens to her.

"It's hard to accept things like that, but those things happen, Athena. We just don't expect them."

"I know..."

A silver-like glow lights up the room.

"My little night light..." he says, playing with her hair. And this time, for the first time in her lifetime, she allows it.

The light that came from her hair really did look like the moonlight that shone outside.

Athena laughs softly, feeling better. Hearing her laughter just makes Azrail so overjoyed knowing that he's making her happy.

Able to talk to his friend for a while, he finally feels sleepy. He turns off the light that came from her hair, and lies back down.

"Night...Azrail."

"Good night, Athena."