Chapter 76

"It's okay, I know your Dad will come back, no doubt."

But Athena wasn't having it. She kept crying, with no visible signs of stopping.

"Hey, I'm scared too, but we have to pray that he'll be okay. You can even give him a huge hug when he comes back."

Athena's grip on the sword tightened, then she suddenly let go, and it fell on the floor, and she didn't pick it up, still lost in her thoughts.

It was strange for Azrail to want to hug her, since he didn't really like hugs. But he did so anyway.

"I-I'm here f-for you." He stutters, not used to saying those kinds of things.

"R-really? Thanks!" She replies, hugging him once again.

"No problem."

Azrail tried his best to distract Athena from these feelings that could literally ruin her whole day, and he felt sad whenever she didn't want to spar or talk.

"Lets spar!" He exclaims, leading her outside.

"Are you sure about this?" She asks.

"I'm sure." Azrail replies, shooting his bullets forward.

Athena easily dodges them, moving left and right. Azrail struggles to shoot her, and this, runs out of bullets and needs to reload.

"Shoot!" He curses, fumbling with his bullets.

As he turns his back on her, Athena jumps and raises her sword.

As if out of nowhere, Azrail easily kicks the sword away, and it lands somewhere across the sparring area.

He pins Athena down with his feet and laughs. "You should have a better grip on your sword."

Her eyes widen with shock, remembering something that happened a few months ago.

Athena's Flashback, 5 months ago.

"That's it Athena! Beat that dummy up like your life depends on it!" Alucard explains, spending as much time with his daughter, for possibly the last time.

But she looses her grip and the sword flies away, nearly chopping a tree in half.

"S-sorry, dad." Athena apologizes, attempting to take the sword out of the tree, but it was way too stuck.

"It's fine, here. Let me help you." He says, pulling the sword out of the tree for her.

"You know, you should have a better grip on your sword."

End of Flashback

"Athena? Hello? You in there?" Azrail asks, gently shaking his friend.

"Huh? What's going on?"

"You spaced out."

"I-oh."

"What happened anyway?" He asks.

"I...remembered something. Dad said the same thing about the grip on my sword."

"I see. I miss him." She says, not thinking about getting up.

"I miss my dad too. We'll wait for the day that they'll come back." Azrail replies, with determination.

Azrail and Athena, now age 7 and 6, respectively.

7 year old Azrail hears a knock on the door at 10 in the morning.

"I'll get it! Stay here, Athena." He says, approaching the door.

"D-dad?"

"You're so grown up now." Granger says, messing up Azrail's white hair.

"Granger!" Guinevere exclaims, running up to him with tears in her eyes.

Miya, Lilith and Azalea, who were upstairs, heard Guinevere's joyful scream and go downstairs to check what was going on.

"The war's over!" The kids shout.

"A-Alucard?" Miya stutters.

But Granger says nothing, only shaking his head.

"W-what? Y-you're kidding me right?" She asks.

"As much as I would want to say that I'm kidding, I'm not joking."

Athena, who was on the couch, is speechless, and walks past Granger and looks outside, hoping to see her dad hiding somewhere, because that's what he normally does.

She feels her uncle's hand on her shoulder and he says,

"He's gone, Athena. I'm sorry."

"But...why?" She asks, too shocked to even cry.

Another Flashback

"I think we're winning this one." Granger says, fighting side by side with Alucard on the battle field.

"Yeah." Alucard grins.

Granger looks around, not a single demon in sight.

Then a spear comes flying towards him.

"Granger watch out!" Alucard shouts, pushing Granger out of the way and taking the hit for him.

"No,no,no." He murmurs, looking at his friend.

"R-retreat."

"What? I can't leave you here!"

"You'll have to. Just retreat. And when we win, please tell Azalea and Miya that I love them very much..." he says, voice trailing off.

"I...will." Granger replies, retreating, as what Alucard told him to do.

End of Flashback

"D-dad..."

"Miya, Athena, he wanted me to tell you that he loves you both very much, but he wasn't able to come back to tell you guys in person."

(So...I guess this ends Song of Love 1, but don't worry. There will be a part 2